Complaint Review: Walsh University

• Submitted: Tue, May 26, 2009
  • Updated: Tue, May 26, 2009

• Reported By:Eagan Minnesota
Walsh University
2020 East Maple Street Ohio North Canton, Ohio U.S.A.

Walsh University Extortion via not releasing my College Transcript North Canton Ohio

*Consumer Suggestion: call the govt

I was formerly a student at Walsh University in North Canton, Ohio. They brought me up for "financial aid verification" at their school for the 6th or seventh time since I attended the school. This process required that I obtain my fathers Tax information or I could not get federal financial aid, but my father's tax information was unobtainable due to the fact that he would not file his taxes. Instead of opting me out of the verification process, they charged me for the full semester with no federal financial aid ($10,900). Now I can't get my transcript from them, and they put my bill in collections without my knowledge which is slowly destroying my credit and preventing me from getting a loan. I've called them multiple times and they said I have to deal with the collections agency. I talked to the collections agency and they want full payment before they will release my transcript. Now every month my bill to Walsh University sits in collections my credit diminishes and I have no way to pay for my 3 and a half years of college (98 credit hours) since I can't get a job above fast-food, retail, or (my current job) gas station attendant. I'm making eight dollars an hour, can't afford health care and I'm basically homeless.If they would have just a) not made me verify, or b) waved the verification, I wouldn't be in this situation. Thanks Walsh University for showing you care by keeping me from ever having a career.

Andy
Eagan, Minnesota

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 05/26/2009 08:07 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Walsh-University/North-Canton-Ohio-44720/Walsh-University-Extortion-via-not-releasing-my-College-Transcript-North-Canton-Ohio-455266. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Walsh University

#1 Consumer Suggestion

call the govt

AUTHOR: Jeanski - (U.S.A.)

This problem (which is not uncommon) is not an issue that can be corrected by the school. All schools that receive federal funds have to report certain data to the feds. The feds then send a list of randomly-picked names for verification. The school has no choice but to comply and provide the documents. They can't just say "OK, Andy, no problem, we'll pick someone else". If you cannot provide your father's tax return, the school can't help you. You might want to try calling the Department of Education's hotline and see if there is some way around this..... 1-800-4FED-AID