Complaint Review: Walters State Community College

• Submitted: Tue, July 23, 2002
  • Updated: Thu, July 15, 2004

• Reported By:Sevierville Tn
Walters State Community College
1720 Old Newport Hwy Sevierville, Tennessee U.S.A.

Walters State Community College ripoff abused & mistreated Sevierville Tennessee

*Consumer Comment: You need to seek medical help

*Consumer Comment: Yoinks! As Ann Landers sez..."Seek Therapy!"

*Consumer Comment: Misleading Report

*0: Walters State Community College, Sevierville, Tennessee, abused and mistreated

This concerns my experience at a local college with which, I was harassed not only by peers, but by experiencing intimidating situations and fraudulent practices, brought about by neglectful and inconciderate, psycho, staff members only interested in a paycheck and taking money from unaware students.

I believe, I was sexually harassed by one basic english instructor in Spring of 1998. My last day of basic english class was somewhat enticing, because I was unaware about the staff practices, even though this was my second year. The instructor at the time was, Amy French, during my last class of the day, had placed her, should I say rubbed her body up against the desk where I sat. Her eyes looked in mine, her arms layed on my desk as if she was going to kiss me, said, "I passed you because I liked you." That was a first.

Later, in Fall of 1998, found the staff lying to me, sending me to rooms, especially one where the instructor French was teaching. So they made me look like a fool and a retard, and disruptive. The staff constantly cancelled courses, changed books around two-three four times.

A friend told me about similar experiences him and other students had with staff. I believe the several prank calls and mailing are from peers and staff that believe they can misuse students at will. Received other forms of retaliation, such as members of the college flip their middle finger at me at every chance they can.

I complained to the local Attorney General, said for me to write the U.S. Commission on Civil Rights, wrote several lawyers, later the Department of Justice about my experiences with the college. No help whatsoever. The Better Business Bureau was no help. Ill-bred staff and peers made it hard for me to learn on my own when they felt it was okay to bully me, yell out at me outside of school, yelling "Hey Fatass."

A friend also mentioned as well as I experienced hateful attitudes toward my national origin, being from the North. The Department of Justice sent my letters to the Office for Civil Rights, Department of Education, 400 Maryland Ave. SW, Washington, DC 20202, never heared back from them. Probably never will.

I have lost over $1,000.00 in credit card and cash payments to this abusive and deceptive college. Found my money being used for other purposes, besides my education.

I have received both mental distress and health problems while in college and after attending WSCC. Staff and peers want to conclude it is in all my head. Then they would have to explain why I was always sick going to college there? Was bullied all through Fall of 1998 by peers and discredited by instructors and staff there. Several privacy issues, such as wiretapping were a problem while I lived near the Sevierville Police station.

I learned never to trust college authority or staff with your money or high hopes. Better off with home-study education.

Matt
Sevierville, Tennessee

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 07/23/2002 02:03 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Walters-State-Community-College/Sevierville-Tennessee-37876/Walters-State-Community-College-ripoff-abused-mistreated-Sevierville-Tennessee-25209. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Walters State Community College

You need to seek medical help

AUTHOR: Phyllis - (U.S.A.)

Did you seek out the President (Jack Campbell) of WSCC-Morristown, TN? Did you seek out a counselor to talk with?

I am sorry you had such a bad experience, however, I attended WSCC-Morristown 1992-1994 and the staff could not have been any better to me. I disagreed with why I needed one class, but I had to take the class anyway if I wanted to graduate. I am now trying to get my bachelor's degree, and if I could attend WSCC for this degree, I would. Even if I had to pay out of state tuition and do it all on-line.

This school made my dream come true, I was the older student (at that time 41 years old) and the staff went out of their way (most of them) to make sure I understood the class and if I had questions; they were always there to help and the school also has tutors if you need them.

Grow up, you are now an adult and you must take responsible for your actions, and you must take the steps necessary to make yourself heard and understood if you need help. No one is going to hand it to you on a silver plater.

Yoinks! As Ann Landers sez..."Seek Therapy!"

AUTHOR: Anon - (U.S.A.)

Dear Sir:

I have worked in several college institutions. Your post strikes me as a delusional and paranoid one, I believe you to be a danger to yourself and anyone attending or employed by that school.

No staff member has it out for a student, and would not purposely send you to the wrong classroom. You are correct that classrooms change, and sometimes signs aren't posted, but that doesn't mean it is a big conspiracy to make you look "retarded".

Schools are non-profits, no one is getting rich working at a college, and there are many confused and disgruntled people to deal with. There are also many dedicated professors, students and staff members who work very hard to maintain a condusive educational environment. Look around you--you are not the only student who is confused when finding a classroom.

I think you really need some professional help. School is the least of your worries.

Misleading Report

AUTHOR: Jandee - (U.S.A.)

I am currently attending Walters State Community College and online classes provided by Tennessee Board of Regents. I have never experienced any of the issues you have had. In my experience the instructors go out of their way to help you. Most of the instructors are over-qualified for thier positions and do it not for the money but the satisfaction of helping others.

Community college teachers do not make very much money. I have only had complaints about one summer school history teacher, in which our entire grade was based on four essay questions. In an online class I was attending, I could not afford the expensive software required to complete the course.

A instructor allowed me to come in any time and use the computers in his lab. I think you injustices you suffered are not a common occurance. Also, the college does not determine who recieves aid, the government does. Only people who make high grades recieve scholarships from the institution. I once recieved many stares from a teacher, but never any sexual advances. This is not a personal attack, but I do not understand why the police department would wiretap your phone about problems with the local community college and how does being from the north change your national orgin.

I sincerly hope your post does not discourage people living in rural TN from pursuing higher education and bettering their lives. I hope you find success in alternative forms of education.

#4 0

Walters State Community College, Sevierville, Tennessee, abused and mistreated

AUTHOR: - ()

The fact of the matter is folks the Tennessee Board of Regents, the politicail-educational organization that controls students and their monies is a fanatic and is up to no good. The problem is colleges like Walters State Community College (above) is becoming more of a pest to students that need more help from instructors and want to better themselves. But, because of negligence, race issue, national origin cases and less and less funds being considered for needy students as myself the TBR is looking to not allow more educational experiences for learning adults, please see, www.nashvillenet.com/news/ for more information on this issue.