Complaint Review: Waukegan Yacht Services

• Updated: Wed, March 20, 2013

• Reported By: Starwind 27 Sailor — Chicago Illinois
Waukegan Yacht Services
27 East Madison Street Waukegan, Illinois United States of America

Waukegan Yacht Services Larry Walker, Roger Baske Sold sailboat to me without proper title, can not title it, they won't give refund. Don't trust them. Waukegan, Illinois

*Author of original report: Problems Resolved, Roger is good guy again.

In July 2011, Roger Baske, broker, sold me a Starwind 27 sailboat for $8,000 under contract through Waukegan Yacht Services & Brokerage, Larry Walker, owner.  Roger gave me a title for the boat.  I took the title to the BMV in Indiana, who showed me that the title was not in the name of the owner.  They would not title or register the boat for me as they said that the owner, Klaus Ruhland, had not processed the title from who he bought it from in Michigan, that this was an attempt to "skip title".  That is, skip out on paying the taxes and fees to the State of Illinois where he lives.  This is not allowed.  When I looked at the title, I noticed that it did not match the HIN on the sailboat either. As I wanted the boat, I gave Roger Baske a chance to correct these issues. After about a year, he got the HIN corrected on the title for the owner, Mr. Klaus Ruhland (alias Wagner per the web).

In May 2012, Roger and I completed paperwork to do what Roger called a "double title transfer" with the State of Illinois and the Illinois DNR  I wrote checks to pay the $500 RUT-7 tax and the registration fees ($500 +$82).  Roger said he sent these in.  When I approached Roger about this in September 2012, he said that there were problems, he was vague, waived me off. Subsequently, he regularly gave me excuses that the DNR is three months behind.  Problem is that he had using this excuse for 10 months. I sent three letters to Larry Walker, the owner of WYS, requesting either a title or a refund.  My attorney sent two letters, as this is a violation of Illinois Universal Commerce Code.  A merchantable title must be provided.  Larry Walker accused me of threatening him, and Roger Baske and Larry Walker have become unavailable.  Now, March 2013, another year later, I must seek legal remedy.

These guys are both crooks.  Roger knew that there was a problem with this title as he told me in frustration that he had sold it once before (obviously returned).  Roger is a delightful gregarious and knowledgeable guy.  He claims to be religious too.  But in reality, he appears to be a real smooth con man.  Larry Walker is culpable as the owner, but he does not care to do the right thing on this.  He is also not honest.  I thought that I would not have to worry about title issues as dealing with an established business.  But obviously I am wrong and I have become the latest sucker.  So much for trusting people.  Do not trust these guys for anything.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 03/20/2013 03:44 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Waukegan-Yacht-Services/Waukegan-Illinois-60085/Waukegan-Yacht-Services-Larry-Walker-Roger-Baske-Sold-sailboat-to-me-without-proper-title-1036487. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Waukegan Yacht Services

Problems Resolved, Roger is good guy again.

AUTHOR: Starwind 27 Sailor - ()

I received the registration with title to follow in a week or so.  This took nearly two years, but Roger did do the right things to resolve the title issues with this sailboat.  The biggest problem was that the DNR and the State of Illinois took 6 months to resolve each iteration of the series of transactions to straighten this out.  Needless to say, I lost faith a few times, and I regret filing the previous ripoff report entry.  I really still like Roger, which is why this was so painful.  But alas, alls well that ends well.  I will attempt to remove this ripoff report, but it looks like they may not make that easy to do.  Problem resolved, I am satisfied and can finish investing in the refurb of my boat!