Complaint Review: We have engines

• Updated: Mon, December 03, 2012

• Reported By: matt — Dos Palos California United States of America
We have engines
205 De Anza unit 69 San Mateo, California United States of America

We have engines Arley Leghorn sold me one bad engine, then warrentied it with another bad engine. San Mateo, California

*Consumer Comment: Wow!

*REBUTTAL Owner of company: Rebuttal - the neglected facts

On march 24 2011 I purcheased  a long block engine from arley at we have engines for the amount of 1,205.03 with the understanding that the motor had a one yrear unlimited millage warrenty which arley had stated. I installed the engine in Aug of 2011 tyhe first time I commuted in it the engine smoked from the tail pipe I continued to drive it for two months, it continued to intermittently smoke I attempted to contact arleyafter a month of me callin ghe finally cdalled back. Arley instructed me to do a compression and leak down test which I did at the time it checked out ok.

I continued to drive the car to work untill two weeks ago when it startd smoking realy bad. I found that it had burned trew one quart of oil in 700 miles. I am a master certifiied ford technician in san jose CA. when I got to work id did a compression and leak dow n test on the engine agian I found #1 to be in spec with slight blow by though, #2 had 100% leak threw the intake vavle, # 3 to be set but to also have blow by, compression readings #1 180psi #2 127psi #3 190psi, I have been attemptiong to contact arley on his business and cell numbers,

I have called on 1-28-12 at 10:30, 1-30-12 at 11:00, 1-31-12 at 9:00, 1-31-12 at 13:15, 2-1-12 at 12:15, 2-3-12 at 12:15, 2-4-12 at 15:30, I left messages all times and he has still not returned any calls. After weeks I finally heard from arley, I was instructed to look at the cylinders with a bore scope which I did, I found all cylinders to be badley scored and the pistons to be at 0.0050 oversized per the stamp on the top of the piston. I informed arley about what I had found he instructed me to remove the engine and drop it off at 33373 croatian way in union city due to my work schedule I had a freind drop it off.

We have engines didnt look at my engine for about a mounth and a half after we dropped it off. I called and checked on the progress of the engine about twice a week. About may 7 2012 I was contacted by arley he told me that the engine had a lubrication problem, I dissagreed with him and told him the oil pump was new. Arley requested a copy of the oil pump recipt, I sent it on may 7 may 11 twice, and on may 14, via email, he told me that he didnt revive the emails. After which arley told me that they were building me another engine. I finaly recived a different rebuilt engine the begining of june. Due to work and family sickness, I did not get to look at the engine untill july.

The new engine had excessive blow by when the leak test was performed, I verified it with two other master techs. I did a wet leak down on #1 it still had excessive blow by. I removed the head and found fresh oil had travled from #1 to #2, I removed the pistons and found all cylinders and pistons to be badly scored, the block deck flatness to be way out of spec, #1 connecting rod bearing to be grooved, and the crankshaft to be grooved at the rear main. I sent the engine to a machinist and found he had confirmed what I had found. I contacted arley on 7-12-2012 and left a message on his machine.

On 7/17/2012 I called agian , spoke with arley and told him what I had found, he requested pictures which I sent via text at 12:15 and 13:30 I still had not heard from him , I sent another text asking if he had recived my pics no response. I called and asked if he had looked over the pics, no response, 7-18-2012 at 10:07 called and asked if he had looked over the pics, was told by arley that he had not had time I asked him to look over them and call me asap. 7-19-2012 no call back from arley. 7-20-2012 at 12:12 called and left message, 7-20-201 at 15:16 called agian and left message. 7-21-2012 at 12:18 called agian and left message, I told him if I didnt hear back on monday, 7-23-2012 I would be forced to take a different course of action.

7-24-2012, at 10:07 arley texted me and said (call tomorrow to discuss) I texted him back and told him the time to talk was yesterday not tomorrow, I expect to be refunded for the engine and labor, 11.5 hours which is book time, in addition to a new cat convertor and o2 sensor which your origonal engine wiped out, the cat was only a year old. 2,781.78 cash or money order by 7-27-2012 or its small claims court and back to the BBB and BAR and tell my experiance and story on anything I can find. 7-25-2012 at 8:47 arley texted me and said pass us your email address so we may respnd in a appropriate forum.

I texted him hack and said the only reason to give you my email which you should already have is to resolve this sistuation Im done, do you want to resolve this? 7/25/2012 at 9:26 arley respnded saying text messaging is not the proper forum are you able to provide a email? I then sent him my email address at 9:33. 7/25/2012 at 12:41 arley texted me back and said we will send you the letter once legal drafts it. That was the last contact I had with him untill Aug 8 2012 at 8:44 when he sent me a copy of the engine contract via email which I had never seen befor, this contract has a place for you to sign when you purchase a engine from this theif which I have never signed nor have never seen .

This man is a theif and I have learned that he has a grade F with the BBB, he has mutiple small claims casses aginst him in San Mateo county, and the BAR is going to investigate him even though he is not registored. I strongly urge everyone who needs a engine to not buy from this company. Today is 11/26/2012 and my sitiation is still not resolved I personaly had to have the engine repaired that he had sent cylnders had to be bored, new pistons & rings a crand kit, and the block flatness had to be machined it cost me 1,335.72 just to repair the bottom end of this engine and dont forget theat this engine had never made it into the vehicle!!!

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 11/26/2012 11:12 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/We-have-engines/San-Mateo-California-94402/We-have-engines-Arley-Leghorn-sold-me-one-bad-engine-then-warrentied-it-with-another-bad-973788. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on We have engines

Wow!

AUTHOR: Jeff - (U.S.A.)

After reading this report, I can tell you one thing - I will never do business with Capitol Ford in San Jose! It sounds like their technicians are a bunch of jokers!

#2 REBUTTAL Owner of company

Rebuttal - the neglected facts

AUTHOR: We Have Engines - (United States of America)

Mr. Buckley is wrong on many points and short on facts.

First, we are not required to have a Bureau of Automotive Affairs (BAR) number, but we have one as a citizen of the automotive industry. Our BAR number is ARD00267624. Mr. Buckley filed a complaint with the Bureau two weeks ago, this case has been settled in our favor. Please feel free to check with the South San Francisco office of BAR and in particular agent Alejandro Moreno. Just another mistruth.

Second, there are no cases against us in any court which includes San Mateo. There is case where we are suing a party for nonpayment. This can be verified online.

Third, Mr. Buckley told us he had a problem with an engine and we believed him because he also told us he is an automotive technician at Capital Ford in San Jose, a Ford dealership.  Because he claimed to be an automotive technician, we trusted his word.  We did not ask to see the engine running in the car to check it, as is standard practice, and we did not offer to fix the engine, we simply trusted his word that the engine needed replacing and replaced it with a new one.

Mr. Buckley claims that he never received a warranty, but he exercised that warranty to have the engine replaced. If he never received a warranty as he claims, how did he know what was covered through it?  When most people purchase something that has a warranty, especially an automotive professional, they want the warranty with the product.  We provided it and he exercised it. Another mistruth.

Lastly, the engine was replaced. He called approximately two months later, told us he had a problem with the new engine and would like to send us pictures. He sent us pictures of a disassembled engine parts that could have been from any engine.  Everyone should know, especially at a dealership (even the car wash guy), that once an engine is disassembled the warranty becomes void because there is no way for the engine originator to validate the parts.  Between three technicians, not one of them knew that to disassemble a new engine would void the warranty?

Think of it this way - you purchase a new mustang, your buddy thinks that it isnt running properly and the two of you take it apart.  You throw all of the parts from the motor into a crate and have the crate and car towed to Capital Ford to have the motor replaced. The first thing the service writer would do is ask one of these three technicians to inspect the car to diagnose the problem. The tech would report to the writer that the engine is disassembled in a pile of nuts and bolts, and the writer, at that point, would tell you there is no warranty claim to be filed. We may not be Capital Ford, but our warranty is no different.  When the motor was disassembled, the warranty was voided.