Complaint Review: Web of Trust

• Submitted: Tue, April 23, 2013
  • Updated: Wed, April 24, 2013

• Reported By: Kenny — North Smithfield Rhode Island
Web of Trust

Web of Trust Company creates a pop up warning msg on my computer about any website I visit. I didn't ask for this service, nor do I want it. They have no contact numbers or ticket sys. I cannot remove this. **Internet

*Consumer Comment: You are welcome...

*Author of original report: success !

*Consumer Comment: Try this...

On or about 4/29/13 I saw a link for a company Web of Trust - http://www.mywot.com/, which
claims to monitor websites and report on security risks and scam reports.  I clicked on the url.  Bad mistake.  I did not ask for service, create an account, register or agree to anything.  But instantly and now continuously each time I visit any website their screen pops up warning of the problems they've encountered.  This includes my own new blog, taxicabjungle.com which is only 2 days old and the hits its had are my own edits.  They rated it as extremely dangerous?

Now each time I visit urls on Explorer or Firefox, I get the same pop-ups for each visit.  What a pain and very annoying.  So I went to the above website to send in an email to them or a ticket, but no such tool exists.  So I scanned their prompts for registering a free account.  I found that if I created an account I could then just delete it and that would be the end of it.  Not so.  I still am getting their pop-ups.  I deleted the account.  Understand, I had been getting these pop-ups days before I tried this approach.

I've checked my control panel to uninstall any of their files, my downloaded files and history, my docs, Win7 user files and nothing in my Program Files directory?  Nothing.  So I assume they are accessing my IP address and echoing back my url transmissions;  all without my knowledge or permission.

I'd love to drop dime on them somewhere, but to whom if they are in Finland?  What would you suggest?

Kenny N****
(((email redacted)))
(((phone number redacted)))

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 04/23/2013 01:27 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Web-of-Trust/internet/Web-of-Trust-Company-creates-a-pop-up-warning-msg-on-my-computer-about-any-website-I-visi-1045583. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Web of Trust

You are welcome...

AUTHOR: Starvros - ()

...and glad to give the solution.

I had the same malware but how I got infected was downloading something legit and there was a small box I was supposed to check to decline the WOT. I missed it and had to do the manual uninstall as well. PITA but at least it did not destroy my laptop. I have had malware and viruses do some serious damage in the past. You got to be so careful what you click (or don't click) online these days.

Heck I recently got an email that said I had sent a wire transfer and it was complete...and it had an attachment for me to view the receipt. Found out if I had clicked that I could have given hackers full access to my PC and all accounts. They almost had me.

success !

AUTHOR: Kenny Nelson - ()

to:  Starvros - delray beach (United States of America),

i'm in your debt.  apparently kb.mozillazine did the trick.  I still haven't seen a response from WOT, but
the extension is gone, it even left a comment behind showing others that were previously disable but
still there are also gone.

many thanx,

KN   rhode island

learned my lesson...  becareful what you click,  you might not like it !!!

Try this...

AUTHOR: Starvros - ()

You can try to remove it yourself manually...
Copy this url without the brackets into your browser....[http://kb.mozillazine.org/Uninstalling_add-ons]
It is safe and is on the mozilla website for troubleshooting.

If that does not work or is too involved for you search "web of trust uninstall or removal". You are going to need to use a download such as perfect uninstaller or similar to get it all out.

Best of luck.