Complaint Review: WebTV, owned by Microsoft

• Submitted: Thu, June 14, 2001
  • Updated: Tue, June 19, 2001

• Reported By:Alameda California
WebTV, owned by Microsoft
Palo Alto, California U.S.A.

WebTV may be rationing their service. *Consumer Suggestion ..buy a PC and get a real ISP

*0: WebTv is barely a computer

I purchased a WebTV Plus unit last year. I would estimate that I get on-line about 50% of the time I try, at best. Frequently, while on-line, everything fails to function, so that I have to shut off the unit.

The last time I called WebTV to complain, I was told by the "phone answerer" miles away from their headquarters in Palo Alto, California, that my connection rate was 96%. That is a bunch of B.S. They have also told me to check my connections, and suggested that the phone lines hooked to the unit may be worn or bent.

Sometimes I am told by the on-screen window that the unit is connected to WebTV when it is not. I have been told that the machine needs to be reset by unplugging it, then plugging it back in, but that rarely helps. I have been told that the phone number it dials is bad sometimes. I can see which number is being dialed by the machine, and sometimes it dials a few different ones.

The common denominator is that when the unit reaches WebTV, I am told "WebTV can not be contacted", or some such shit, and that I should watch TV for a little while, and try again later.

I paid $250 for this thing, and $24.95 a month for unlimited internet access. I want what I paid for Goddamnit. Though I don't know for certain, I suspect them of rationing the service, figuring that WebTV users are poor, ignorant low-lifes, who get what they pay for, and so addicted to the web that they will put up with the terrible service.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 06/14/2001 12:00 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/WebTV-owned-by-Microsoft/Palo-Alto-California-USA/WebTV-may-be-rationing-their-service-Consumer-Suggestion-buy-a-PC-and-get-a-real-ISP-5425. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on WebTV, owned by Microsoft

#1 0

WebTv is barely a computer

AUTHOR: - ()

This email is a rebuttal to RipOff #5425.
It was sent by David at gronk117@hotmail.com.

WebTV may be rationing their service. (#5425)
They filed the following rebuttal to the above Rip-Off Report:

Their email: gronk117@hotmail.com
Their name: David

Their relationship to the company: Consumer Suggestion

Rebuttal:
The Internet is a collection of networked computers. WebTv is barely a computer. It was a nice cheap system to get your feet wet, but it is so limited in what it can do. The e-mail, browser etc is real crappy. There are tons of resources that you can't get to with web TV.

Your best bet is to buy a PC and get a real ISP, which will be cheaper than the $24.95 a month, PS. AOL is not a real ISP.