Complaint Review: Wells Fargo Mortgage

• Submitted: Fri, August 20, 2004
  • Updated: Sat, August 21, 2004

• Reported By:Northbrook Illinois
Wells Fargo Mortgage
www.wellsfargo.com San Francisco, California U.S.A.

Wells Fargo Mortgage Ripoff Late fee scam San Francisco California

*Consumer Suggestion: Try being more careful next time

Got a call from Wells Fargo's collection folks last night claiming we owed $170.00 in late fees for our August mortgage payment. Apparently, (awaiting copy of check from our bank to see if it was our error or their's) we made the check out for $X,001.34 instead of $X,4001.34 in error. The check was deposited by Wells on July 20, 10 days prior to the due date, but the rep claimed that they can't apply partial payments to our account and therefor had to assess the full late fee. I asked why it was they didn't contact us when they received the check and of course she said she was sorry but didn't know why the processing department didn't do so.

I noted how they were able to contact us only 4 days after the 15 day grace period yet unable to do so to advise us of an obvious error. Clearly they are waiting for the grace period to expire then are trying to assess a 5% late fee on the full amount. Undoubtedly this is happening to thousands of their customers who make an honest mistake. I have contacted a law firm and will be pursuing whatever type of legal action I can to strike back at these unscrupulous ba*tards. I will also be refinancing my home immediately to avoid dealing with them in the future.

Dave
Northbrook, Illinois

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 08/20/2004 09:17 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Wells-Fargo-Mortgage/San-Francisco-California/Wells-Fargo-Mortgage-Ripoff-Late-fee-scam-San-Francisco-California-104592. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Wells Fargo Mortgage

#1 Consumer Suggestion

Try being more careful next time

AUTHOR: Mark - (U.S.A.)

I am also a Wells Fargo customer and I know how strict they are, but keep in mind that you made the mistake. It states on the bill how much is due on the 1st, and to add late fee if the total payment due is made after the 16th. You didnt get your total payment in within 15 days of the due date thats why you get a late fee. Even if your check was short by $0.01 they could still slap a late fee if they wanted to because it wouldnt be the total amount due. Next time be more careful and make sure your check is exactly the same as the amount due on the bill. Also, I wouldn't waste time trying to take legal action because your argument is extremely weak. It would be different if they waited several weeks to cash your check like some credit card companies but that's not the case.
I would pay the late fee, let it be a reminder to be more careful, and move on.