• Report: #190797

• Submitted: Wed, May 10, 2006
  • Updated: Wed, May 21, 2008

• Reported By:Beaumont Texas
Werner Enterprises
14507 Frontier Rd. Omaha, Nebraska U.S.A.

Werner Enterprises Werner Trucking, Full Of Sexism, Inadequate Training, and Harassment For A Hard Working Trainee. ripoff Omaha Nebraska

*UPDATE Employee: Stop rambling and get to the point

*UPDATE EX-employee responds: must be mad cause she hasnt passed yet.

*UPDATE EX-employee responds: You know just enough to be dangerous!

*Consumer Comment: Sounds like a BUBBA to me

*UPDATE EX-employee responds: Former Trainer Responds

I had 5 trainers and every one gave too many unnecessary instructions (I went to one of the best drivers schools in the country), a lot of instructions that were wrong (while I was trying to control the big truck in traffic), and cursed me about my personal life all day and all night. Most of them told off or cursed that they either black-balled us students to increase their checks, or were training us students for intimite attention, harassing us. A gay woman trainer even balled up her fist and threatened me for sexy conversation.

A Werner trainee doesn't have to complain first, the trainers will lie, about legal logging, us trainees personal issues (I've heard other students), and safe driving maneuvers (Federal Law - Whoever Is Behind The Wheel of A Vehicle Makes The Safest Decisions That He or She Can), and With No Legal or Ethical Right To Do So With A Trainee, Will Insist To Go Out Of Route. And the office will, even if what the trainer claimed was totally ridiculous, write the lies down, on our records. Our employer trainee contracts say we would get fair treatment and fair wages.

When the office sees that it's wolfing for favors won't phase us intelligent students, they do things like what they did to me. Left me in a motel for over a month, across the country from my home, and the last week I was with the company (regardless of our employment contract) didn't even pay me. I quit on the second day of the week.

DonnaMom
Beaumont, Texas

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 05/10/2006 06:23 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Werner-Enterprises/Omaha-Nebraska-68138/Werner-Enterprises-Werner-Trucking-Full-Of-Sexism-Inadequate-Training-and-Harassment-Fo-190797. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Werner Enterprises

Stop rambling and get to the point

AUTHOR: Kenneth - (U.S.A.)

FIVE TRAINERS? I am sorry, but it sounds like you have some issues with authority.
The best schools in the country cannot teach you anything if you won't listen long enough to learn. I, too went to a truck driving school, and went out with a trainer.
But anyone who has been in the business for more than a few years, KNOWS that the schools give you the basics and when you get out here, "REALITY SETS IN"
The schools make their money by sugar coating everything. They would go broke if they told you "all" the truth. Trucking is a good career, if you can just learn, that everything isn't always going to go YOUR way. Sometimes you eat the bear and sometimes the bear eats YOU. Stop blaming everyone else. Do the job the way you are told, you had a contact at Werner if you had a problem. There are BAD trainers at Werner, you know it, I know it and the training department knows it. but 5 bad trainers in a row? You also had opportunity to call logs, permits, safety, if you didn't like the trainers answers and hear it straight from the top.
Good Luck and I hope your next opportunity, you don't make the same mistakes.

#2 UPDATE EX-employee responds

AUTHOR: John - (U.S.A.)

Its people like you that whine so much to just keep thier jobs. in my years as a trainer if i had a student male or female i treated them equally. if you screwed up then you got dealt with quickly and taught right.

1st thing i always told student was to forget what the school taught you and to listen to me and me only as i am the trainer and here for your safety. but you had 5 trainers. now any one in the training industry know right from the start you are a problem child and need to find a new job and move on with your life.

so far 2 other people told you this flat out. and they are right for saying so. 1 or 2 trainers is all most normal student need. and the reason for 2 trainers is maybe because of personality conflicts but you had 5 whats thats say. some one can drop the bomb on this girl and send her back home to momma until shes ready to grow up. peace!

#3 UPDATE EX-employee responds

#4 UPDATE EX-employee responds

#5 UPDATE EX-employee responds

#6 UPDATE EX-employee responds

You know just enough to be dangerous!

AUTHOR: Deborah - (U.S.A.)

You know nothing about trucking, because the "best school" you went to taught you only just enough to get your CDL and land your first job with a training company. That is their job, nothing more.

It is the job of the trainer to teach you the skills and professionalism you need to stay alive, avoid killing others, and make a healthy living. The trainer is more than that, they are also your boss, specially trained and appointed over you by your employer, the one that owns the truck. They go through extensive background checks (especially at Werner) to insure they have no questionable history or habits that would get you hurt.

Your job as the trainee is to do what the trainer tells you when they tell you without hassle. If you have a question relating to an instruction, you ask it when appropriate to do so in a professional and non-defiant manner. You are supposed to learn everything that trainer can cram into you in the few weeks you are with them. Only when you pass training do you know enough to be turned lose on your own, and not before.

My CDL school (which is what a truck driving school is) taught me that before I got behind the wheel for the first time, and obviously your's didn't. That makes my school better than yours by a longshot.

Werner went above and beyond to train you. They gave you five trainers, and were trying to find a sixth when you up and quit on them, costing them many thousands of dollars in lost time and expenses. When I trained for them, you were gone after two trainers had trouble with you. Werner likely couldn't find another trainer because we trainers do talk to each other, even when we are from different companies, about our experiences. It isn't to "black ball" you, it is to compare notes and come up with ways to get you to listen and learn.

As for your claims of sexual harassment, you aren't exactly the first female trainee to accuse a female trainer, gay or straight, of inappropriate sexual conduct. Why do you think so few women are willing to train other women? I myself will only train lesbians, gays, and transgender persons because I got tired of being accused by straight women of sexual harassment. I've never once been accused by a gay or transgender trainee of anything inappropriate, nor by any straight male. Yet every straight female trainee who failed training always accuses me of lesbian advances.

I have to admit, the claims of lesbian threats of violence if you didn't talk dirty to your trainer was very creative, albeit very unlikely. I personally wouldn't risk my $60,000 a year job with great benefits on you or anyone else, but then I'm more greedy than I am lesbian, and my creditors like me that way.

It is my sincerest hope that you knock off the BS and lose the attitude before you try your hand at trucking again. I am tired of rescuing truckers who "know everything" with their days of weeks of experience from their wrecked and burning rigs, only to find more victims in the car trapped under them.

Good luck, and try to be safe, please?

Sounds like a BUBBA to me

AUTHOR: Tom - (U.S.A.)

From your complaint, it sounds like YOU ALLREADY KNOW EVERYTHING there is. Well let me tell you, YOU DONT !!!! Driving a BIG TRUCK is not like driving a BIG CAR like many students believe. And just because you passed a bunch of writen tests and drove good for 15 mins for a inspector doesnt make you a DRIVER. I have trained many drivers after they were out of school and had driven for a few months. (No I did not do this for one of the Driving School/Trucking Companies) They all thought they were drivers caused they had passed their CDL and had driven with another trainer for a month or two before they QUIT or got released.

The company I drove for would hire them and give them to me and other drivers for TEAM RUNS. They were OK most of the time as we drive from TX to CA and we would trust them to Drive I-10 across W Texas & NM without too much worry. But I had one driver who got 2 tkts in CA in less than 1 mo and then wanted me to help pay them as he said I was responsible for the truck and everything. Then he thought he could take DONNER PASS in whatever gear he pleased. That was enough for me. I passed him off to another driver & warned them about him (They wont fire anyone as they are always short Drivers) and left a few weeks later.

Everyone needs to realize, Driving a BIG TRUCK is a lot more than just being able to SHIFT GEARS and such. It takes patience and also a lot of common sense (Which is the thing most lacking in most students) So my suggestion is go back and find something else to do. There are already enough BAD DRIVERS out there !!!!!

#8 UPDATE EX-employee responds

Former Trainer Responds

AUTHOR: Yvonne - (U.S.A.)

I am sorry you had a harrowing experience. My husband and I quit Werner just this year after 17 years combined.

If you were sexually harrased by your trainers you should report it to the EOE board, the BBB, and the Attorney Generals office in Austin.

I tell you this because you should make a report for the sake of other trainees coming through after you. I always told my students to report on me if they felt anything was inappropriate, unsafe, or wrong, for that exact reason.

I spent 3 years as a trainer and only trained women. Speaking from personal experience and the issues I had to deal with, most problems came about from poor communication and poor concentration. Perhaps your trainers were all bad but of the 7 students I trained who had 3 or more trainers, the issue was with the student. The law of averages make it pretty unlikely that all your trainers were "bad."

I'm sure some of them were bad, as I have met a few of them myself, who bragged about their underhanded dealings with their students until they realized I also was a trainer, and I told them I would report them.

I am not saying Werner is a good company, because they are not, but I am saying lumping all trainers into one category is immature and ignorant. It would be like me saying all students are arrogant cry babies, who think they know it all because they went to school and can't listen to what you tell them because their rebuttal to anything you say is "Well, we didn't do it like that at school" or "My instructor said..."

I have had students file false reports on me in which they blatantly lied. I told my side of the story and it all went into my trainer file. But not all the students were like that, just as not all the trainers were like the ones you had.

Maybe you should look at yourself. I mean really, 7 trainers? Do you think you are irresistable to everyone? Usually when a student has more than 3 trainers its because they have issues unresolved in themselves and are poor drivers in a big truck. This may not be you or a description of you but either way, it sounds like you are better off elsewhere. I know we are, and of the 75 students my husband and I trained, collectively, only 2 remained at Werner. Good luck in finding a better company.