• Report: #1020233

• Updated: Mon, February 25, 2013

• Reported By: Brenden — Carlsbad California United States of America
West Marine
1250 Rosecrans St. San Diego, California United States of America

West Marine Refusal to return RECALLED personal flotation device (PFD) San Diego, California

I bought an Automatic/manual inflating off-shore PFD (personal flotation device, a.k.a life-jacket) from West Marine in early 2002. I paid over $250 for this PFD.

The automatic inflator device needs replacement every five years, so in 2007, when the automatic inflator needed replacing, I
brought the PFD with me to West Marine so that I could purchase a new device. However, the sales associates at West Marine looked up the model number, and told me that this product was discontinued and that the part I needed no longer existed, and that my very expensive PFD was no useless. HOWEVER, what this sales person failed to tell me was that the product had been discontinued because it was RECALLED. My $250 life jacket was recalled in August of 2002.

So, for five years I while I was doing some very dangerous sailing outside of the USA and relying on this vest to save my life if I were to ever end up in the drink, the fact was this vest would not have worked unless I had used the emergency valve and blown it up with my mouth. (NOT WHAT I PAID FOR!!!)

This was not brought to my attention, although West Marine had all my contact information and purchase history, until early 2013. At this time I returned to West Marine in Point Loma, CA and explained my situation to the store manager. She was very rude to me, and told me all that she could do was to give me employee discount on a brand new vest. This was going to cost me $100 before tax for the cheap model that didnt even have the features of the vest I originally had.

My family and I have spent thousands of dollars at West Marine over the past couple decades and this was the worst customer service I have ever had at any retail store anywhere!

I will never shop at West Marine again, and will do my best to make this situation well known so that others know not to purchase from them as well.

Thanks for wasting my time and money West Marine!

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 02/25/2013 07:40 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/West-Marine/San-Diego-California-/West-Marine-Refusal-to-return-RECALLED-personal-flotation-device-PFD-San-Diego-Califor-1020233. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on West Marine