Complaint Review: Westbury Auction Galleries, Inc.

• Submitted: Thu, June 26, 2014
  • Updated: Thu, June 26, 2014

• Reported By: David — Fayetteville North Carolina
Westbury Auction Galleries, Inc.
631 South Olive Street Los Angeles, California USA

Westbury Auction Galleries, Inc. False representation of an item listed at auction Los Angeles California

*Author of original report: Issue Update

On May 23 I won an item at an online auction from Westbury. The item was listed as a 14k Gold Tanzanite ring it had an appraisal for over $18,000. I bought the ring for just over $2,000. When I received the ring sevelas weeks later with an appraisal dated June 4th which looked suspisious since the auction happened on the 23rd.

This discrepancy had me worried so I took the ring and appraisal to a local jeweler and he confirmed my suspicion. The ring did not match the appraisal at all. It appears the main stone was replaced.

When I called Westbury to inquire into the issue they told me they do not no anything about the item. They simply send it to an appraiser and list it based on what the appraiser tels them. I find this hard to believe the appraisal has a picture on it and you can clearly tell the main stone has a different color then shown in the picture.

If you are looking to do buy something from a Westbury auction please beware. Avoid if possible.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 06/26/2014 05:02 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Westbury-Auction-Galleries-Inc/Los-Angeles-California/Westbury-Auction-Galleries-Inc-False-representation-of-an-item-listed-at-auction-Los-An-1157794. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Westbury Auction Galleries, Inc.

Issue Update

AUTHOR: batipl17 - ()

Since I posted my complaint with Wesbury I have been contacted by their returns department and given instructions to return the disputed item. Within a day of receiving the item back I was contacted and a full refund was issued to include shipping and handling costs. This was probably the best experience I've had with return/refund issue with any company.

I would like to thank Wesbury for being so considerate and prompt with resolving this issue. They aren't as bad as I previously stated. I would also like to appologize to the Wesbury team for my harsh review.