Complaint Review: Western Union

• Updated: Tue, December 18, 2012

• Reported By: melynda — San Diego California United States of America
Western Union
12500 Belford Avenue Englewood, Colorado United States of America

Western Union Gave my rent money away to criminal through fraud and now i've been evicted from my home! Englewood, Colorado

September 3, 2012, I purchased two Western Union money orders from a local Moneytree location. I filled out them correctly, payee was my landlord and placed both money orders in one envelope addressed to my landlord.

On September 4, I then placed this one envelope into a local blue mailbox - located directly in front of the United States Post Office, with proper postage.

On September 8, I received a 3-day notice to pay rent or vacate from my landlord. I was very confused, since I DID pay rent. I emailed my landlord the receipts from Western Union proving the purchase of the money orders in the amount of rent.
Needless to say, one money order was never cashed and I was refunded my money from Western Union in a timely manner. Now, the other money order (the larger amount), I was told by Western Union, was cashed. I had to request from Western Union a copy of this money order that was illegally cashed.

Once I received the copy, it was very obvious to me that it had been altered to read the payee as CHRISTOPHER WATSON instead of my landlord, KITTY HAWK REALTY. After I alerted Western Union of this problem, they instructed me to fill out an affidavit that they emailed me, get it notarized and mail back to them; which I did.

Upon their receipt of my affidavit (on October 19), they then told me it would take THE BANK 90 - 120 days to "investigate" the fraud. This is no work on Western Union's end, the responsibility is solely on the bank, which in my case is WELLS FARGO.
I have since gone to court for unlawful detainer against me by my landlord and LOST. I have been EVICTED FROM MY HOME and I am STILL getting the run around from Western Union.

At this point, I do not believe I will ever see my money again. It took me SIX tries to get a supervisor on the phone when I called customer service (LOCATED IN COSTA RICA). The "fraud department" does not have a direct phone number for customers to call for help.

Western Union has proved to me that they do not care about fraudulent practices that involve their company.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 12/18/2012 11:26 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Western-Union/Englewood-Colorado-80112-593/Western-Union-Gave-my-rent-money-away-to-criminal-through-fraud-and-now-ive-been-evicted-983796. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Western Union