Complaint Review: Western Union

• Submitted: Mon, November 04, 2002
  • Updated: Thu, January 02, 2003

• Reported By:Paris TX
Western Union
6200 South Quebec Street Greenwood Village, Colorado U.S.A.

Western Union will give your money away to anyone Greenwood Village Colorado

*UPDATE Employee: Scams ..sounds too good to be true

*UPDATE Employee: Paid in Error

*UPDATE Employee: Mispellings

Well I sent a money transfer and Western Union gave the money to a guy with a fake ID who had spelled the recievers name wrong. The customer service reps have given me the run around and today I was told by the Payment on error Department that they will give the money away even if there is only one letter wrong on the form.

So what she told me is that even if you don't know how to spell your own name and you have a ID(with the misspelled name on it) you can get the money. I told her that my lawyer had a letter on the way.

Paris, Texas

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 11/04/2002 09:58 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Western-Union/Greenwood-Village-Colorado-80111/Western-Union-will-give-your-money-away-to-anyone-Greenwood-Village-Colorado-34246. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Western Union

Scams ..sounds too good to be true

Darryl,

I hope you know I am not arguing with you. These types of scams have always been a problem and will never be eradicated. I hope you have contacted local law enforcement and if this was an internet deal contact the Internet Fraud Complaint Center at

Also pass an email to all your friends/family concerning consumer fraud. Types of fraud include lotterys, loans, purchases (such as yours) and services. Unfortunatly a lot of these frauds are sent through services such as Western Union. Once you contact law enforcement they can contact the WU Security Dept. The hardest thing is that the transfer was sent to an international country.

To anyone who reads this just remember if something sounds too good to be true it most likely is. If you are unsure don't do it.

#2 0

AUTHOR: - ()

I was paying for a product, but I had not yet received it, so the money transfer wasn't made out to the person that received it. He made it look like he was me and Western Union gave him the money wrongly. So either way the mistake is with Western Union. It was an international transfer. Like I said before, a big company like Western Union doesn't care that things like this happen all the time and Western Union customers lose money so long as they receive their money.

Paid in Error

Darryl,

I have a couple questions about your transfer. Did you send this money for a product or service or was it to a person you personally know? You talked about a scam. Was it in the US or a international transfer? I am just a little confused because you talked about scams at the beginning of your response.

#4 0

AUTHOR: - ()

The payment was made to the wrong person, and this kind of thing happens very often. If someone offers to sell something and want the payment Western Union I will be a scam most of the time. I see now that it is very easy to get money through Western Union. I know now Western Union will never take responsibility for this, but I know that everyone that I have talked to is now afraid of using Western Union. I will never use them again, I trusted them to pay the money to the person I specified. The person that recieved the money was not even close to the person I specified. Western Union got paid $114.00 to give away my $1800.00 to someone that wasn't supposed to recieve those funds. That may not be a lot of money to WU, but that is a lot of money for a College Student trying to make it. When that much money is involved I would think it would be harder to scam using a big company like WU. Then again WU already got paid so why should they care?

#5 0

#6 0

#7 0

Mispellings

AUTHOR: Christopher - (U.S.A.)

I understand the concern in this complaint. Let me give an example. In order for a receiver to pick up a money transfer, they must know 5 parameters. Senders name, city where the money was sent from or city the sender lives in (sender may be traveling), approx. $ amount, receiver needs to be in the expected payout location (where the money was sent to), and ID (indentification.)

The transfer may have been paid in error by mistake, the receipt may have been lost, human error by WU or its agent(s). These situations or others can cause a transfer to be paid to the wrong person.

AS for the one letter of the name difference. WU sends over 200,000 transfer per day. WU policy is to payout the transfer with a letter diffence as long as the receiver meets the 5 parameters and the letter difference is not signiicant such as a gender change or it changes the name, ie Joan to John 1 letter difference or Johnston to Johnson, etc.