residential

• Reported By: lviav — United States of America
Western Union

Western Union money order depreciation, Internet

*Consumer Comment: Easy process

I had a money order from Western Union that was given to me.  In waiting to deposit it (I had just moved and my bank was several hours away), I forgot about it.  I didn't read the "fine print" on the back of the money order so when I did try to deposit it over a year later it bounced and I was hit with some banking fees.

I called the 1-800 number, spoke to "Edmund", and found that the money order depreciated.  Apparently it was "company policy" to charge 50 cents per month on the total value of the money order.  Then "Edmund" told me that I'd have to print up a form, get it notorized, send it and the money order to the office in Englewood, CO.  While this was frustrating enough, "Edmund" kept interrupting me when ever I tried to ask a question or explain that I didn't have the money order as I had deposited it.  I was frustrated and not happy.

Even though it may be their policy, I don't agree with the terms of the contract; I think they could improve on the service they provide.  My brother purchased a money order from the post office and didn't have this problem.  As long as this policy continues, I recommend against using the service. Use personal checks if possible or buy a money order from the post office.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 04/06/2012 08:12 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Western-Union/internet/Western-Union-money-order-depreciation-Internet-865081. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Western Union

Easy process

AUTHOR: coast - (USA)

There is an agency known as the United States Postal Service. You could have mailed the bank a deposit slip with the endorsed money order. I am baffled as to why you didn't utilize the mail.