Complaint Review: Westgate Animal Hospital

• Updated: Thu, July 12, 2012

• Reported By: ErinS — Chippewa Falls Wisconsin United States of America
Westgate Animal Hospital
2135 N Clairemont Ave Eau Claire, Wisconsin United States of America

Westgate Animal Hospital Westgate Animal Hospital overdosed my 8 week old kitten. I've lost 2 cats under their care. Eau Claire, Wisconsin

My 8 week old kitten fell from a ledge. I took him to Westgate Animal Hospital immediately as he was unable to get up.  They examined him, determined that it was either nerve damage due to swelling or a bulging disc.  They kept him for the day, gave him fluids, steroids and sent me home with some syringes of Buprenorphine...premeasured narcotic painkiller.

We got home and he was stable.  He wasn't using his back end much but he was standing up, looking around, meowing. I gave him the pain meds, 10 minutes later he went running down the hallway, dragging his legs behind him and 5 minutes later he vacated his bowels, bladdar and threw up a foamy brown substance and then died.

I called them, the vet tried to tell me it wasn't an overdose, that he measured the pain meds according to his chart and the cat's weight. He said the reasonable dose for this cat (2 lbs. [continued below]....
.....) was .05ml-.16ml.  I feel like that is a pretty large range for an 8 week old kitten.  I read on the internet where a woman's cat was prescribed .2ml and that was a 12 pound cat.  This vet gave me .1ml for a 2 pound cat.  I am no expert, but I think that is conducive to an overdose.

The office manager refused to do anything for me.  She tried to tell me that the trauma is what killed him.  I have attached the post-mortem picture to this complaint because any reasonable person can tell just from seeing the picture that it was an apparent overdose.

I am saddened by the fact that I have spent $700 with this clinic in the past 4 months and they refuse to do anything for me.  $500 of it was on my 5 year old cat who ended up dying of a punctured lung (which went undiagnosed by Westgate). However, I never complained about that because I understand that there are things that go undetected and cats are very hard to diagnose. But this kitten would be alive today if I hadn't given him that dose of Buprenorphine.  What saddens me most is that they have absolutely no regard for the fact that I have lost 2 of my beloved pets over the course of a month. This is a clear-cut case of malpractice to which I have gotten no sympathy.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 07/12/2012 05:55 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Westgate-Animal-Hospital/Eau-Claire-Wisconsin-54703/Westgate-Animal-Hospital-Westgate-Animal-Hospital-overdosed-my-8-week-old-kitten-Ive-lo-911246. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Westgate Animal Hospital