Complaint Review: Westgate Resorts

• Updated: Wed, June 15, 2011

• Reported By: Keri — Strasburg Illinois United States of America
Westgate Resorts
2801 Old Wintergarden Rd. Suite 500 Ococee, Florida United States of America

Westgate Resorts Fraudulent company with very deceptive tactics. Ococee, Florida

My husband and I were on our Honeymoon and got conned into visiting Westgate Resort in the smokey mountains Gatlinburg, TN.  They lied to us continuously.  At the time, we fell for it.  They seemed so caring to try to help out young couple Buy a "property". We were told it was a 90 min tour but it would probably only take 30 min.  We were there 3 hours the first day and then they made us come back the next day for a "free owners breakfast" in which was required of us.  They promised us a getaway weekend every month.  told us that those weekends could be sold even over the internet because "that is what most of the owners did with the getaways".  They told us to sell them every month and we could easily get enough to pay our payment each month and then some.  We were  promised that we would own a piece of property, and that the value would go up.  They lied and said we could sell the timeshare and make money off of it easily.  This was all a LIE.  I feel very deceived.  When I contacted Westgate later, They informed us that their company cannot buy back any shares the sales were final.
Since my husband and I were both signing, I still had my unmarried name and had to sign that on the papers.  They told me that it was very important that I file a change of name addendum within 15 days of the sale .  She never mentioned any cancellation period though.  In fact, I was even late on the 15 days.  But they still accepted the addendum.  But we when tried to cancel our contract after the cancellation period was up, they wouldn't accept.  They are not consistent with their rules.
 The sales rep told us that at the final closing we would be asked if we were told about the getaway weekends and we were to reply no.  He said its legal to do it, but the company wasn't suppose to advertise it.  He said he just wanted to help us out.  What A LIAR. He also said we would have to put our initials on several statements.  He point blank lied and promised that it was all the things we had already gone over.  He warned us that the closing could take a really long time, so just go ahead and initial those items.  It would help us get out of there quicker.  I feel so scammed.  It is inhumane treatment.
Also at the time of the closing. We were promised that it would be recorded.  Deborah turned around and we saw her hit a button on the recorder.  But after the closing when she turned around to stop it she stated that oops I don't think it was running but we wont need it.
After realizing they were a fraudulent company I called to get a copy of the closing, but they told me all I could do was listen to it over the phone.  Those are my records and I should have every right to a copy. they refused to give me one. To this day, I still am unsure if it was even recorded.    It is unbelievable how horrible those people are.  They have humiliated me, cost my family a lot of money, worry, stress.  And when you call them they don't care.  It is truly a defamation of my character.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 06/15/2011 07:11 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Westgate-Resorts/Ococee-Florida-34761/Westgate-Resorts-Fraudulent-company-with-very-deceptive-tactics-Ococee-Florida-741281. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Westgate Resorts