Complaint Review: Westgate Resorts

• Submitted: Wed, July 22, 2009
  • Updated: Thu, December 20, 2012

• Reported By:LaFayette Georgia
Westgate Resorts
Turkey Lake Rd. Orlando, Florida U.S.A.

Westgate Resorts This is a nightmare that gets worse. First they lied to us about being able to excahnge to ski at Wetgate Parkcity for only $129, then they fined us 4k for my husband wearing a shirt on property,one day, that said Westgate ripped me off. Now they are suing us because he went down and stood on the public sidewalk to protest them not keeping their word. You can see more by going to wftv.com. Orlando Florida

*Consumer Comment: More Details Please

*Consumer Comment: I am a victim too!

*REBUTTAL Owner of company: I too am a victim of Westgate Resorts

*Consumer Comment: A word on "protesting"

*Author of original report: Westgate Resorts

Westgate sent us a letter saying they are fining us $4,000 for my husband wearing a shirt that said "Westgate ripped me off". He had it on for a little while one day and they told him he couldn't wear it on property or would be fined $1,000 per day. He told them OK I will go to the street and wear it there, which he did. He was protesting because we told them we didn't want a timeshare in Orlando but would consider buying where we could go skiing. They said that was no problem because we could trade for their ParkCity timeshare and pay the $129 fee. We asked about other charges and about getting reservations. We were promised there were no other charges and that we would be able to get reservations. Well, we found out reservations would be very, very difficult to get and if we did get them we would have to pay an additional $1,200. There were other deceptions also but that was a biggy because my husband told them flat out that we would not buy unless we could trade to go skiing without any other fees. There is a report on wftv.com, search for Westgate. Oh, and the letter also said we can't use our timeshare untill we pay the 4k or agree to never protest again. After recieving that notice my husband went down there to stand in the hot sun on the sidewalk and protest their deceptive practices, so now they are suing us for damages.

Anyone know any lawers that work pro bono or for a share of the settlement?

Vicki
LaFayette, Georgia

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 07/22/2009 02:16 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Westgate-Resorts/Orlando-Florida/Westgate-Resorts-This-is-a-nightmare-that-gets-worse-First-they-lied-to-us-about-being-a-472324. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Westgate Resorts

More Details Please

AUTHOR: Pablo in NLV - (United States of America)

Did Westgate quote any State regulatory authority for the fine for wearing the shirt?  You state your husband went to the sidewalk to protest.  Was this sidewalk public property or a sidewalk upon Westgate property?  Did you check with the County or City to determine your right to protest without a permit?  I strongly doubt that Westgate Resorts has a right to impose a fine for wearing a shirt.

I am a victim too!

AUTHOR: Tatiana - (Canada)

I don't understand how all timeshare thing is still legal! This is all fraud ! I was lured with discounted tickets  to the presentation with no obligation and ended up baying air for 16 000 and maintanance fee for nothing 700/ year. All they tell is  lies, all they prommiss is lies, they make you think you purchasing investment  and you do not know you can't get rid of it NEVER! They press you for 5-6 hours and if you not a secret agent this is very hard to resist. It was wonderfull Florida vacation but when i thinking about it i remember what i did and i almost cry. In addition I did not got a contruct- they said they going to mail it to you, and i did not know about cool-off perid. i only got my contract by email a few weeks later.  As per my knowledge not to get a copy of you contract is a ground to cancel it. If some one has a similas situation, please contact me and may be we can do something about it.

#3 REBUTTAL Owner of company

I too am a victim of Westgate Resorts

AUTHOR: tilly - (United States of America)

I too am a victim of the high pressure sales presentations by sales/marketing people employed by David Seagel.  I got sucked into buying at Planet Hollywood in Las Vegas.  They lied to us so many times on just about everything right down to what we actually purchased.  Nothing that was said was true.

I think all of the victims of Westgate Resort/Timeshares should get a class action suit going against David Seagel and company and get our points across and all the lies they use to get people to fall for their crap.  There has to be something we can do to get back what we have all lost over the years.

If you or anyone else knows of any legal firm that would be willing to start such a law suit against them, let me and everyone else know who is upset by how they got screwed over by Westgate.  There has to be someone out there who would be willing to help all of us poor victims of David Seagel.

What came to be of your fines that your fiancee got for wearing his shirt.  Did anything come of it?

A word on "protesting"

AUTHOR: ReactorCore - (Canada)

First off, don't get wishy-washy on the term "protest" or "protesting". That's exactly what your husband is doing.

Next, you have a right under the U.S. constitution to do so (right to peaceful assembly). As long as you follow procedures applicable in your area, which likely include no overtly disruptive noise, do not harass passers-by directly, do not impede entrance to the place of business etc., you're good to go.

The threat of calling police is just that; a threat to intimidate you into not expressing your displeasure with the company. If, as you indicate, your husband is standing on a public sidewalk, outside of the property line of the company in question, there is nothing that the company can do in the form of having you arrested on the spot... it's garbage.

If they truly want to prevent you from protesting on a public sidewalk outside of their place of business, they'll have to seek a court injunction, and even then, the courts will usually outline a "red zone" into which you cannot enter (a specific distance to within the range of the business) or assign an area in which you can exercise your right to peaceful assembly. This will cost the company some pretty big bucks too, which is why they would be trying to intimidate you.

Check with your local police department to see what the laws governing preceful protest are in your jurisdiction. Ensure you're within the law, as some regulations vary from place to place. Get the name and badge number of the officer who gives you the low down for future reference. If the company approaches you while your making your opinion known, let them know that you've been in contact with the police and that you are within the law in expressing yourself through your constitutionally protected rights to peaceful assembly and free speech.

If all you're saying is true, the company will NOT want your "opinion" visible to the general public who make up their pay day, and will try any number of things to shut you up and move you along... hopefully at little to no cost to them.

Westgate Resorts

AUTHOR: Nix - (U.S.A.)

Perhaps I should have used another word other than protest. Actually My husband is just trying to express what happened to us and get Westgate to honor the promise made by their sales representative. The lawyer for Westgate called our house after my husband got home and said that if he goes back down to stand on the sidewalk, I am asuming she means with a sign or his "rip off shirt" she will have him arrested.