Complaint Review: Westlake Financial

• Submitted: Tue, August 31, 2004
  • Updated: Tue, January 19, 2010

• Reported By:Hillsboro Oregon
Westlake Financial
www.westlakefinancial.com Los Angeles, California U.S.A.

Westlake Financial harrassment of us and family/friends Los Angeles California

*Consumer Comment: They will loan to anybody! Even me.

*Consumer Comment: Go Figure

*UPDATE Employee: Try reading your contract and paying your bills...

*Author of original report: Car Was Repossessed, Towing Company Worse Than WFS

My husband Jason and I are a working married couple in Oregon, parents of two very young children, and also currently auto loan customers of Westlake Financial. Our complaint about Westlake has to do with both us and some of our family and friends who were references on our loan application.

We purchased a 1992 Honda Accord from Gresham Chrysler Jeep in Gresham, Oregon, several months ago, and our loan was processed through none other than Westlake Financial due to the fact that I myself have an auto repossession on my record from last September, on top of various other bad credit choices made by the both of us. We also owe child support to the state of Oregon due to the fact that the state has current wardship over our kids, and that is currently being deducted from our miniscule paychecks. This whole mess started when we fell just 2 weeks behind on our first payment, for which they charged nearly a $20 late fee as a result and they initially threatened to repossess the car.

That first payment, including the late fee, was made via money gram over the phone (they do not accept credit/debit cards, just check, money gram, or Quick Collect), and all was well after that for a short while. We made the next two payments almost on time, but around about when the fourth payment was due is when the trouble began. This is when they began to make all sorts of threats to our disabled roommate involving both him and us.

These threats included, but were not limited to, bank repossession, police repossession, taking us to small claims court, and arrest for concealing. These calls to our roommate went on for a couple of months, and then some of our family and friends, located from here in Hillsboro to Jason's disabled mother and her elderly mother to as far as Vancouver, Washington to a disabled woman there, began reporting to us that WFS was calling them. At first, to our family and friends, the reps that called them seemed nice and willing to work with them, but all that would change as of last week.

Toward the end of last week Jason's mother and our sister-in-law received some calls from WFS, after which our sister-in-law had asked several different people from WFS during the week not to call either of them. By law, they should've stopped calling otherwise it would be considered harrassment, but last Friday the calls came in once again. So our sister-in-law sent an e-mail to a supervisor, once again asking for the calls to stop or else they would be reported to the FTC and the Oregon state police...so far they have not stopped.

This morning, 8/31/04, as I was working my husband and roommate received about 75 calls from WFS within one or two hours, beginning at 7:00 AM PDT. One rep from WFS went so far as to begin using vulgar names toward our roommate, and another tried pretending she was speaking accusatorily about us to a nonexistent police officer. So Jason and our roommate called the FTC to file a complaint, and according to the FTC, there are 15 counts of harrassment against WFS regarding our case.

Our roommate also contacted a lawyer based in Colorado who is handling several cases against WFS, and this lawyer said he would call WFS to ask them to leave us alone as we are now witnesses to the case and that our car is now a "witness" as well under the witness protection program. These people have gone way too far and need to be dealt with accordingly and promptly. My view of them is that they are nothing but obnoxious insects that should be put out of our misery.

Angela
Hillsboro, Oregon

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 08/31/2004 11:03 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Westlake-Financial/Los-Angeles-California/Westlake-Financial-harrassment-of-us-and-familyfriends-Los-Angeles-California-106447. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Westlake Financial

They will loan to anybody! Even me.

AUTHOR: MNBrant - (United States of America)

I will rebut one part of your testimony and add my experiences with West Lake Financial. First of all they love to take debit card payments. All you do is call them up and give them your debit card number. There is a 5 dollar charge for this service. This is listed right on your bill along with the number you call. I know you are not different from me because nobody on Earth has a lower credit score than me. Ok, I am 3 payments behind with West Lake Financial. Yes they did call me the day I was late and it grew to like 20 calls a day. During the second month they called my family 1-2 times a day assuming they would care. After a couple months the calls are now 1-3 times a day. I took a call within a couple weeks of defaulting and told them that I was headed into bankruptcy and offered to refinance but they weren't interested. (the amount I had in mind was 5000$ at 10% on a 7000$ at 20% loan.) This was the dealer price at the time. A couple of weeks later reason set in and the price I would accept was 4000$ at 10%, yesterday the brakes started grinding so I am calling them today to either pick it up or have me drop it off. If they ask the price I would accept is now 3500$ at 10%. First of all I want to say that I am grateful to West Lake financial. I cannot believe that, if anybody had looked at my credit report, that they would have loaned me 10$ for gas even. I am used to getting 20 calls a day from creditors and don't mind it at all. I would definitely use West Lake financial again! They will loan to any damnn body! Oh yeah, I have been waiting for my bankruptcy draft for a bit over a month now and am getting a bit concerned. Hope I don't have to post on Ripoff Report again. Heh,  probably not. Lawyers are definitely scared of reputation issues.

AUTHOR: Cory - (U.S.A.)

You were "just" two weeks behind on your FIRST payment. Bad WFS charged you a $20 late fee. All was well for a while? Until the next payment, like two weeks? You made the next two payments ALMOST on time. Almost only counts in horseshoes and handgrenades. "...but around when the fourth payment was due...". If the fourth payment had been made on time there wouldn't have been any trouble. So, in essence you were late on the first three and probably the first four payments of your loan with WFS. Remember on the loan app where it says: I agree to pay X amount of dollars on or by a given date? And you signed that you would? No wonder you had a repo from last Sept and here it is Aug and you now have another one. I like it where you say you'll never do business with WFS. It's a safe bet WFS will never do business with you again. Just another "various bad credit choice" on your part.

AUTHOR: Cory - (U.S.A.)

Try reading your contract and paying your bills...

AUTHOR: Roger - (U.S.A.)

In response to your complaint about "calling friends and relatives" to help secure payment - remember when you filled out the "references" section of the credit application? There's a reason why you have to list their phone number and address - so the lending company can have someone to contact if you're not returning the company's calls. If you call the company back to make arrangments, you don't have to worry about the calls to your friends and family.

Second - it's not okay to be a month or more behind - and if you applied for credit while you have a garnishment on your wages for child support - you made the bed, you should be prepared to sleep in it.

Third - most financial companies do not take debit cards over the phone - the potential for fraud is too great.

If I were your friends and family, I'd be upset too - but not with WFS. I'd be angry that your poor financial planning and bad decision-making put them into a situation that they didn't ask for.

No one held a gun to your head to be financed with WFS - no one from WFS made "the poor credit decisions" you made in your past - if you're looking to blame someone, I suggest finding a mirror.

Car Was Repossessed, Towing Company Worse Than WFS

AUTHOR: Angela - (U.S.A.)

In continuation of our complaint about Westlake Financial, they have repossessed the car as of last month. The lawyer in Colorado that our roommate talked to in regard to WFS had supposedly told him, according to him, that the car was protected under witness protection and as such WFS could not touch it. We soon found out from the lawyer himself that he was misunderstood. Jason had brought the car home after running an errand, and we were planning on leaving again in a couple of hours. Well, I went out to the car because I needed to run a little errand of my own, but it was nowhere to be found in the parking lot of our apartment complex. All that was left of it were tread marks from the two front tiresthe car was literally dragged from the parking space because the repo man did not even bother to come get a key from us or allow us to clear our stuff out if the car before taking it.

At first it seemed to us that it would be too late for a repossesser to be out, so Jason called to police to report it stolen. The next day we called the number for the person working the case of the car, and she informed us that the car was in fact repossessed and gave us the number to a towing yard located in Portland, which was called State Recovery. So we called the police and cancelled the stolen report. My purse, containing my driver's license, social security card, and two inhalers for my asthma among other things, was in that car when it was taken. Also, several vials of our roommate's medication, a money order for $101, and various other items were in the car. We were fortunate enough, thanks to our roommate, to have enough cash to buy a used car from an owner the day after the repo, and although it has needed some minor work under the hood it has gotten us by for the last month.

The three of us, for the next couple of days, endlessly tried calling the towing yard to arrange a time to clean out the car. We found out via the answering machine at the yard that it was only open 2 hours a day, 5 days a weekfrom 10AM until noon. After we could not get through and we left several messages on the machine, we called the case worker again to report our trouble reaching somebody at the yard. We found out from her that not only does the lady at the yard not answer messages, but she is in and out of her office so much that we have to keep trying until we finally get her on the phone.

So that's exactly what I did. When I finally did get her on the phone, she refused to talk to me because she claimed that the paperwork that she had did not have my name on itonly Jason's. As such Jason was the only one to whom she would speak. He arranged with her to go in at 10:30 AM two days later to pick up our stuff from the car.

He was also informed that he would have to pay $45 to her to retrieve our belongings, which is absolutely ridiculous. So two day later, we arrived at the State Recovery yard at 10:30 AM on the nose, only to find that nobody was manning the yard. She had left, knowing that we were coming. We soon learned from a guy that worked at a nearby business that she always comes and goes as she pleases, regardless of whether or not she has an appointment with a vehicle's former owner.

It wasn't until a car hauler pulled up in front of the gate and the driver called the lady letting her know he was there (and so were we) that she remembered her appointment with Jason. When she finally returned about hour after we arrived, only Jason was allowed to enter the yard to get the items, which she had already taken upon herself to remove from the car and place into 3 large bags.

Jason saw the paperwork that WFS sent to her, and it did only have his name on it, despite the fact that I co-signed on the loan and my name was also on the vehicle's registration. Things like the steering wheel cover and some window decals were not removed because they were considered attached to the vehicle, nor was Jason allowed to enter the car and get them himself. I noticed right off the bat that my purse had been opened and one of the inhalers was removed, but fortunately nothing else was missing and the inhaler was found later.

By the time we got our stuff home and looked through it, we noticed that the medication was missing as was the money order. I mean, we can understand that she could not save the fluids for the engine for safety reasons, but was it really right for her to keep our money and our roommate's much-needed medication? I guess this goes to show that WFS is such an unjust company that even the people they hire to repossess cars are thievesnot to mention rude and self-centered.

Our roommate attempted to call the Portland Police to report the missing items, and they gave him the number to the Portland towing coordinator. So he called and left a message, and the next day we received a message from her on our machine. He returned the call and found out that the State Recovery lady has major violations against her regarding this case.

So needless to say, we will never be doing business with WFS again in our lives. They are nothing but worthless scum, as are the repo men they hire. I hope they lose all of their customers and that they are shut down permanently because of it.