Complaint Review: Westwood College LAI

• Submitted: Tue, January 09, 2007
  • Updated: Mon, January 22, 2007

• Reported By:Pelham Alabama
Westwood College LAI
20 W. 7th Street Upland, California U.S.A.

Westwood College LAI Last minute scam before graduation. Ripoff Upland California

*Author of original report: Update 1/22/07

I graduated from Westwood College in July of 2004. I recently received a phone call from a collections agent at Willams & Fudge, stating that the college will want to pursue litigation due to the fact that I am delinquent on my payment of loan to Westwood College, which has since accrued almost 100% from 9,000 USD to $16,000 USD.

It was stated that I should take out a loan, get a new job, or "sell something" to pay for the loan. I was also told that I would have to pay the loan in full, and if I didn't they would have no choice but to take the matter to court, and I would be forced to pay for both sides legal fees.

I moved away from California, and have an unlisted address as well as unlisted number in Alabama. I'm not exactly sure of the means that they have used to acquire this information, as the home and phone number are not in my name.

All of that aside...

The problem that I have with this experience is that the school came to me less than a week before my graduation, and stated that they had "undercharged" me for various services such as books, lab fees, etc. The amount they said that they had undercharged me was approximated 9000 USD, and I would not be allowed to graduate had I not paid this off somehow.

They offered me a high interest loan, and said that unless I could find a personal loan, I would be not be able to graduate as I would not have qualified for Sally Mae loans so close to graduation. I was told that I should have been meeting with my financial adviser (my original had left about a year after I had started classes) along the way to check the progress of my loans. I believe that if I was "undercharged" the school should have found that out in the first place, instead of treating me like I am the criminal for this action that they were paying employees to perform.

In my naivety I agreed to the loan, and have since been in hell trying to have this issue resolved. I believe that this is a scam, and I have since gained immense financial advice, but unfortunately, I wasn't aware of what was happening at the time. I was 20 at the time, young, and I didn't know any better, which is apparently exactly what Westwood looks for in its victims.

I am looking for other students who have been pressured into taking these high interest loans mere days or weeks before graduation, or any link to anyone I can find who is currently preparing or in the process of a class action lawsuit against Westwood College for these activities.

Thank you for your time.

Pelham, Alabama

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 01/09/2007 10:56 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Westwood-College-LAI/Upland-California-91786/Westwood-College-LAI-Last-minute-scam-before-graduation-Ripoff-Upland-California-229654. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Westwood College LAI

Update 1/22/07

AUTHOR: Ikaika - (U.S.A.)

After dealing with Westwood via phone negotiations, they have resolved all issues I had with the campus, and have restored my faith in the college. I believe that while we had a rocky start 3 years ago, the school has matured in its processes and improved the quality of it's staff vastly.

Once again, I have nothing to say but good things about the college, especially how they went out of their way to solve this issue for me.

The quality of the education was excellent as well.