Complaint Review: Westwood College Online

• Submitted: Thu, May 21, 2009
  • Updated: Sun, May 24, 2009

• Reported By:Fort Worth Texas
Westwood College Online
www.westwood.edu Denver, Colorado U.S.A.

Westwood College Online Lied to a military veteran; used unethical and immoral business practices; and frauds the government Denver Colorado

*Consumer Comment: Thank you for telling your story

RUN RUN RUN AWAY from this college!!! No matter what they promise you. They are NOT NOT NOT Military friendly either!

I enrolled in Westwood College a couple years ago because they assured me that they would take my military credits; and that my GI Bill would cover the cost of their college. NEITHER of those statements were true.

I now owe the Federal Government (student loans) almost $21,000! That is in addition to the almost $1000 a month (in GI Bill money) I paid to Westwood for the first year I was enrolled in their program. When I questioned the Financial Officer about this - "That I would run out of GI Bill money about year 2 and that this entire program would cost me $60,000+; how that was ridiculous". Her response to me was these exact words: "If we told prospective students that they could potentially be $60,000 in debt after they were done with a 3 year program, no one would join the college".

In addition, to the now and then financial burden that Westwood has placed on me (a single mom by the way); they also did not accept any of my military credits. I came into Westwood College with an AA from the University of Maryland and I was told that they would not transfer because of the different degree program. None of which I was told prior to enrollment. In fact they lead me to believe (prior to signing up) that I would not have to complete my full 3 years of a program for a degree because I had my Associates.

I have nothing to show for my year of full time online school with this college except high debt. I attempted to enroll with just a community college here in Texas and was told that they do not accept Westwood credits at their college (Tarrant County College) or at the University (University of North Texas); both of which I was attempting to finish a Bachelors with. So, none of the 64 credits that I earned during my year with Westwood are able to be credited. Westwood claims to be "Nationally Credited". ??? I don't think so!

I plan on filing a formal complaint in addition to sending that complaint to St Louis to the GI BIll folks who need to know that a degree is not what us Veteran's are going to receive!

Dawn M
Fort Worth, Texas

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 05/21/2009 01:50 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Westwood-College-Online/Denver-Colorado/Westwood-College-Online-Lied-to-a-military-veteran-used-unethical-and-immoral-business-pr-454134. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Westwood College Online

AUTHOR: John - (U.S.A.)

Dawn, I hope others read your R-Report before they commit to this terrible sham. Your story is very well written and you sound like a very intelligent person. These private, for profit, """"universities"""" are nothing but rip offs. And the local medias (TV, radio, newspapers, even high school counselors) get paid off to promote them at your expense. I hope you do OK from now on. All these internet colleges are a total rip off.