Complaint Review: Westwood College

• Submitted: Wed, May 11, 2011
  • Updated: Wed, May 11, 2011

• Reported By: Almost suckered — Los Angeles California United States of America
Westwood College
Los Angeles, California United States of America

Westwood College Redstone, Alta Almost Got Me Los Angeles, California

I always wanted to become a policeofficer. I Was an Explorer for the LAPD and upon graduating high school, looked for a college where I could get my degree in Criminal Justice. Filled out an on-line application and started getting bomb-barded with calls from recruiters from various colleges.
Westwood was one. The recruiter sold me on their accelerated degree, made it sound like it was golden. Best school and I would be taught by instructors who have worked in the field. Went to the campus and took a tour, all the while feeling uncomfortable because it was like they were trying to sell me. That should have been my first warning. Easy credit financing, available on-line options, accredited college and credits that could be transferred if I wanted to pursue my Masters.

Had trouble getting started because they did not receive my loans payments or something. Had to work with the finance people at the college to get that fixed. Never spoke to a counselor about classes or anything. First week was OK once I got started. Once I was settled in, started to get that funny feeling that something wasn't right. Classes I was told I had to take did not make sense. Spoke with a few other students and was told that the instructors that taught Criminal Justice did not seem to know what they were doing sometimes. They have a list of instructors for the school and on reviewing their credentials, found that most either did not have a Criminal Justice degree themselves or never really worked that long in the field. Opposite of what I was told during the
application process.

Did some research on-line and found all of these scam reports about Westwood College and this website. Printed out a lot of them and presented my concerns to an advisor. Talk about defensive and sales pitch. He stated that the stuff I read on-line is probably from a few former students who became discouraged and needed to vent and probably inflated things a bit. I stated that there were more than just a few, thousands in fact. Showed him my copies of all the bad reports I have found about them on-line and he dismissed them. All said and done, they did exactly what everyone has posted on-line.

Long story short, I dropped out and went to a real college. Did receive a bill for $2500 for the  semester I had enrolled for, although I only attended a week and a half. My parents are going to help me pay that off but from what I have read, at least it is not $75,000.

Thank you to all who have posted and to the creator of this website. You just saved a young lady from a whooping ton of misery.

Forever grateful and good luck to the rest of you who got Ripped OFF!

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 05/11/2011 11:18 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Westwood-College/Los-Angeles-California-90036/Westwood-College-Redstone-Alta-Almost-Got-Me-Los-Angeles-California-728063. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Westwood College