Complaint Review: What A Portrait

• Reported By: Anonymous — NY New York USA
What A Portrait
WhataPortrait Studios 3755 E 3rd St Internet United States of America

What A Portrait Fake oil paintings, Internet

*Consumer Comment: Not a Scam!!

*Author of original report: Complaint resolved by this company

This company advertises 100% handmade oil portraits made by artists in the USA. I received my portrait today and paid $139. The painting I received is NOT an oil painting, but a blow out printed canvas of the original photo that has been retouched with some oil paint to make it look like an oil painting. Moreover, the painting comes from China, and not made by artists in the US! The painting arrived in a rolled out tube, covered in a this layer of plastic film. The plastic film was placed on the wet paint, and upon removing the plastic, the paint stucked to the plastic and peeled off in several parts. This company is a fraud! The phone number provided on their website does NOT work, and once you lodge your discontent to them via email, they stop replying to your emails. Beware and do NOT use this company.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 11/17/2012 05:34 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/What-A-Portrait/internet/What-A-Portrait-Fake-oil-paintings-Internet-970504. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on What A Portrait

Not a Scam!!

AUTHOR: Jennifer - ()

I am very cautious when I order products from a new website and always check for scam and ripoff sites that have any negative comments about the store I am considering giving my credit card info to. I searched a few sites to catch any red flags about WhatAPortrait.com and only found this one bad review. It immediately made me hault in the process of ordering.

I contacted a customer service representive from the site (his name was Nitin) via thier online Chat option, and he assured me that this was a false claim. Of course I thought he may not be telling the truth, until he offered the option of sending me progress photos through out the painting production process. He also gave me the option to hold a portion of my payment until I recieved a satisfactory finished product.

Sure enough, a few days later I received a picture of my photo-being-turned-into-a-painting in the sketcha phase! A few days later I saw the first painting phase and so on until I got a preview of the final product.

When I received the package I was very happy to see that it was an authentic painting that was not only to my standards but BEAUTIFUL! Therefore, I felt complelled to come here and make sure everyone knew that this is NOT A SCAM and commend the customer service team at WhataPortrait.com for going above and beyond for your customers.

Complaint resolved by this company

AUTHOR: Anonymous - (USA)

After posting my complaint on this site, the company stepped into action and agreed to re-do my painting at no extra charge. The second painting was not as good as the first and looked rushed however, after pointing out the various faults,  they did carry on working harder on the portrait and improved it greatly, albeit not as good as the first one received, which was ruined during shipping from China.

I still feel the paintings are not designed to be long lasting and the layer of oil paint is (in my opinion) thin, but overall not bad for the price, if you are not planning for the portrait to last you as a heirloom.

Nitin, the customer service representative was very helpful throughout the whole process, and I will likely use them again in future for more commissioned work. The only other complaint is the NON working phone number on their website, which only allows customers to contact the company via email.

In short, this company eventually delivered on their promises and I was fairly happy with my second commissioned portrait.