Complaint Review: Whirlpool Corporation

• Reported By:Kailua Hawaii
Whirlpool Corporation
www.whirlpool.com Internet U.S.A.

Whirlpool Corporation Refusal to Service Defective Merchandise RIPOFF Michigan

We bought a new Whirlpool refrigerator in May 2003. From the beginning the ice maker never worked properly. It made hollow ice instead of regularly formed cubes. The freezer compartment was constantly a mess, because the icemaker leaked water.

I fixed the problem myself by buying a new ice maker, and installing it myself. It works perfectly now.

I wrote to Whirlpool saying that it would be nice if they would consider paying me back for the cost of the ice maker (my labor was for free)-- they refused. True, it had a one year warranty that ran out a few months before I requested this, however, the item never worked properly in the first place.

I think that a huge corporation like Whirlpool could be more gracious.

We bought a new Whirlpool Dryer 2 years ago. This is the the second time that the electrical cord on it has burned. When I called Whirlpool for service, they refused.

They said that the reason for refusing service was because I couldn't find the model/serial number tag on the dryer. At first the person that I was talking to didn't believe me (hey, I had my glasses on, and the electrician who eventually fixed the problem, again, couldn't find the tag either).

The Whirlpool rep said that they cannot service any merchandise without the tag because it may have been stolen. The item was bought at the Pearl Harbor Navy Exchange; was he suggesting that the government is selling stolen goods? Or, could it be that Whirlpool is selling the government stolen goods?

My electrician and I think that when the dryer was manufactured the tag got left off (accidentally?). Makes sense to us: why doesn't it make sense to Whirlpool? I'm sure that most people's lives are too busy for them to be serious about dryer tag tampering.

In conclusion, the once reputable Whirlpool Corporation has lost it's savvy. All I can say is that the next time that I decide to spend money on these types of products (and we all know that they are not cheap), it will be a MAYTAG, a KENMORE, GE; ANYTHING BUT WHIRLPOOL.

Gayle
Kailua, Hawaii

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 01/03/2005 11:10 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Whirlpool-Corporation/internet/Whirlpool-Corporation-Refusal-to-Service-Defective-Merchandise-RIPOFF-Michigan-125503. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Whirlpool Corporation