Complaint Review: Whirlpool

• Submitted: Fri, July 11, 2008
  • Updated: Fri, July 11, 2008

• Reported By:Savannah Georgia
Whirlpool
553 Benton Road Benton Harbor, Michigan U.S.A.

Whirlpool And A&E Factory Service Whirlpool Misleads Consumers on Appliance Repair Charges Benton Harbor Michigan

When my 8 year old Whirlpool refrigerator stopped cooling I went online to the Whirlpool.com website to schedule a service appointment. When clicking through the service appointment online form I realized there where no costs to the service call available on the form.

So that I would not be surprised when the service person showed up at the front door I called the Whirlpool Service 800 number and after wading through the endless menu finally talked to a Whirlpool Service rep. I gave the rep all required information regarding the refrigerator and she was able to confirm the refrig was out of warranty. She offered to schedule the appointment but I first requested a breakdown of costs that I would be charged for the repair.

She told me that the cost of the service call would be $69 plus the cost of parts. To be even more clear I then proposed the scenario that if the compressor needed to be replaced then please provide me the cost of the compressor. She looked up the part and said it would be $180. I replied that the visit would then cost $69 plus $180 for a total cost of $249 or approximately $250. She very clearly said yes. There was absolutely no mention of additional costs and it was my understanding that the charges for repairing the refrigerator would be the $69 service call plus parts

Bottom line: A&E Factory Service charges a $203 labor fee for 10 minutes of work plus a $5 Fuel Surchage in addition to Parts!

Whirlpool would not accept responsibility for the $203 labor fee they failed to mention was not part of the service call. Their corporate rep said "I should have known there was a labor charge" even though their service rep left it out of the conversation.

Now how consumer friendly is that?

Savannah
Savannah, Georgia

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 07/11/2008 02:52 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Whirlpool/Benton-Harbor-Michigan-49022/Whirlpool-And-AE-Factory-Service-Whirlpool-Misleads-Consumers-on-Appliance-Repair-Charges-350209. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Whirlpool