Complaint Review: Whirlpool

• Updated: Wed, August 14, 2013

• Reported By: mad_consumer — Hamburg New Jersey
Whirlpool
553 Benson Rd Benton Harbor, Michigan USA

Whirlpool Washing machine broke in less than two year - Cost to fix almost the price of the new unit Benton Harbor Michigan

*Author of original report: Read the online reviews about this unit

*General Comment: load = weight.

In October of 2011 I purchased a Whirlpool washing machine WTW4850XQ0 for the price of $449.  Two weeks ago, less than two years from the purchase date, the machine stopped working properly.  I called the authorized whirlpool service and they diagnosed the problem was the result of a broken bearings in the gear case, the price to fix it almost $400.   I called whirlpool customer service and they said they were sorry but they couldn’t do anything.

I told them I was a single person and I never had a load heavier than bed sheets.  Why then did the bearing break in less than 2 years?  They said they didn’t know but that was why they recommend people to buy their extended warrantee when they purchase their products.  Because I hadn't paid the extra money my punishment was to replace the washing machine at my own cost.

Are you kidding me? But of course they can do this because as it turns out all other manufactures offering the same size and price range are also part of Whirlpool Corporation.

So as the result I have to either spend almost the price of a new machine to repair this or buy a new machine after less than 2 years.  What is sad is that customers like me who cannot buy big and expensive appliances have no other real choices because Whirlpool is the parent company for all other with similar appliances.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 08/14/2013 12:12 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Whirlpool/Benton-Harbor-Michigan/Whirlpool-Washing-machine-broke-in-less-than-two-year-Cost-to-fix-almost-the-price-of-t-1075813. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Whirlpool

Read the online reviews about this unit

AUTHOR: mad_consumer - ()

Unfortunately I made the mistake of not reading the reviews first.  I am usually a very careful shopper.  I buy a lot of home theater equipment after reading all the reviews very carefully.  But I never thought a new washing machine will break after less than two years of average usage.  The day this unit broke the tub was only half filled.

#2 General Comment

load = weight.

AUTHOR: Tyg - ()

You are forgetting that the water has weight as well. Whirlpool has no power on HOW or WHEN you use your appliance. That being said, YOU are the reason it has gone out. Now this isnt to assign blame. Just to point out that Whirlpool sold you a working new washer and over the course of almost 2 years it has broken from you useing it.

Whirlpool is right. If you did not spend the extra money for a warrenty then what do you expect AFTER the 1 year manufacturers warrenty expires?? You are asking them to pay for what is in essence a you problem. How would you feel if someone came to you a year or two after you sold them something and during the use of that item they broke it. If you were at work, they wouldnt take it back. You are looking for someone to both pity and pay for your problem. Life happends sometimes. Stop trying to blame someone else. Accept that Whirlpool CANNOT do as you ask. You can be as butthurt about it as you like. It still wont change the fact that you have a broken washer.

Whirlpool is a very solid brand. I have had Whirlpool appliances for over 20 years. When my dishwasher pooped out on me it was also outside warrenty. I had to accept the fact that s**t happends and pay for a repair.