Complaint Review: Wikipedia

• Updated: Sat, February 27, 2010

• Reported By:Clinton Massachusetts
Wikipedia
Internet U.S.A.

Wikipedia bad security un-reasonable banning without reason spamming Internet

*UPDATE Employee: Could you provide more information?

*Consumer Comment: Same Experience

*Consumer Comment: Wikipedia is a waste, tell your instructor that

I registered for Wikipedia for a school assignment were we are required to write an article and edit and least one other article for our final grade as it is a Web Writing course at Fitchburg State College.

I did exactly what I was supposed to for my class and they banned my account and never said why, other than that I was not contributing in the best intent.

Now I got an F on my final grade and I have to make up 3 lost credits because they banned my account before my instructor could grade the assignment on the website.

All I did was add a link to one article and fix vandalism in another, and they banned me indefinitely for "trolling, lying about edits (I never lied about anything, I was doing my homework!), and no intention to contribute".

I emailed them for an explanation, and they have yet to reply, and this took place in April of 2007. I don't think it should take four months to reply back to me!

Kingshades
Clinton, Massachusetts

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 09/11/2007 03:06 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Wikipedia/internet/Wikipedia-bad-security-un-reasonable-banning-without-reason-spamming-Internet-274012. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Wikipedia

Could you provide more information?

AUTHOR: Bnefriends - (United States of America)

Could you provide your username or IP used to edit? Administrators, who are just ordinary editors who have managed to obtain enough trust from other editors to be granted access to certain "tools," block users according to certain guidelines established, but unfortunately some admins go crazy for whatever reason and break their rules. You would have been given instructions on how to request unblock using the unblock template, and that would have been followed up on in less than 48 hours, most likely in less than 24 hours even. Also, did you seek help from anyone at school, maybe a friend or the professor giving the assignment? If you were doing this from school, work, or anywhere else that uses NATs, someone else on the server may have violated the sites policies resulting in the block in which case you would have been given instructions on how to request an account.

Same Experience

AUTHOR: Lex - (U.S.A.)

You are not alone! They banned me for "edit warring" because I was actually posting factual content to a site that was quite biased and written by a multi-million dollar company. The company has full control over the content and only listed positive things about the company. I was a former employee of said company and had multiple examples of severe controversies and legal issues, including lawsuits and actual newspaper articles in various countries about their business practices and police reports but nevertheless they banned me for so-called edit warring and I was told if I attempted to edit the site again I would be permanently banned.

Wikipedia is NOT likely an unbiased cite it is more likely certain companies pay to guard their content.

Wikipedia is a waste, tell your instructor that

AUTHOR: Matthew - (U.S.A.)

There really is no point to editing anything on wikipedia anymore, it will be removed in a few weeks. I once had an article on my internet BBS site. A rather large one with over 2000 members. They removed it for being Non-notable, nevermind we referenced ourselves all over the place but that wasnt good enough as they said "Those are just people agreeing with your politics."
They have also removed popular youtube video creators and director's pages because they are 'non-notable'. That entire 'encyclopedia' is a waste of time to try and contribute anything to.