Complaint Review: Winchester Wireless

• Updated: Mon, May 12, 2014

• Reported By: LIEDtoinShawneeland — Winchester Virginia
Winchester Wireless
2979 Valley Avenue, Winchester, VA 22601 Winchester, Virginia USA

Winchester Wireless David Williamson (Owner)A Division of Custom ComputersWilliamson Enterprise, LLC Lied to about Bandwidth throttling or Bandwidth capping Winchester Virginia

*Consumer Comment: Update

*UPDATE Employee: RE: In addition

*REBUTTAL Owner of company: Re: Caps & Throttling

*Consumer Comment: In addition

*Consumer Comment: Me too..

*Consumer Comment: Happening to me/wife as well

*Author of original report: To correct formatting

Around a year ago, I moved to Shawneeland. I was told by my realtor that both DSL (Verizon) and cable (Comcast) based internet were available. After finding out that I was lied to and that neither were available I did extensive research and found that the service (900Mhz, 2.4Ghz-5.7Ghz were not available) offered by Winchester Wireless would most likely best meet my needs. The equipment and installation costs were quite high (around $600.00) but I understood that they were a small company and were not able to lease the equipment like DSL and cable companies do. After some tweaks they got the connection working pretty good (around 1.5Mbps, they advertise up to 3.2Mbps download) and this suited my needs at the time, since I had a older computer and was not able to take advantage of computing and bandwidth intensive applications like Netflix (or like streaming video services), Skype, cloud based backup, etc. Of the many questions I asked before installation was "Do you impose any form of bandwidth throttling or bandwidth cap?" and I was told "NO" by two different employees of Winchester Wireless. They advertise on their website "Unlimited MB Transfer". I also asked "If I can use applications like Netflix (or like streaming video services), Skype, cloud based backup, etc." without any problems and was told "YES". A few months ago, I finally saved up some extra money and bought a new computer with the hopes of being able to use applications like Netflix (or like streaming video services), Skype, cloud based backup, etc. These applications/services will start to work great but I notice that after a period of time (couple to a few hours) the connection speed would drop dramatically, rendering these services unuseable. Checking my firewall I noticed that this connection speed drop occured at around 2GB of data transfer everytime, clearly bandwidth throttling or bandwidth capping. I phoned Winchester Wireless and was told that they were indeed imposing a 2GB a day "soft" cap on ALL (900Mhz) customers. They stated "No one" needs more than 2 GB a day for "legitimate" purposes, clearly suggesting I was using the internet for less than "legitimate" purposes. When I told them what I used the internet for, they went on to state that Netflix (or like streaming video services), Skype, cloud based backup, etc. are "bandwidth hogs" and they don't support them. I thought long and hard before submitting this report but because applications like Netflix (or like streaming video services), Skype, cloud based backup, etc. are becoming VERY popular now, if I can save one prospective customer the trouble before spending their money, I will feel better. If Winchester Wireless would like to make this right, STOP imposing a 2GB a day "soft" cap and instead START imposing a 60GB a month "soft" cap for ALL (900Mhz) customers. Monthly caps are used by ALL other internet providers and will not cause the day to day issues that your current daily cap causes. For the sake of transparency, should the owners/employees of Winchester Wireless like to response to this concern, please do so using the rebuttal feature here. I will not be calling/emailing anyone anymore regarding this matter.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 01/20/2014 06:13 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Winchester-Wireless/Winchester-Virginia/Winchester-Wireless-David-Williamson-OwnerA-Division-of-Custom-ComputersWilliamson-Ente-1116916. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Winchester Wireless

Update

AUTHOR: WWUSER - ()

Since I saw that the owner of Winchester Wireless responded to this report I thought I would provide an update. Hopefully the original poster of the report will provide followup as well.

A few days after I posted my report, we noticed the 2GB a day "soft" cap had been removed and the speed increased a little as well. From Mr. Williamson response it seem like removing the cap was already in the works and just had not been implemented yet on all accounts. Thank you for removing this cap on all accounts.

Thank you as well for addressing the failure of your staff members(s) that seemed to provide the original poster with very bad customer service. Having owned a business myself I fully understand the damage non customer centric employees can do to a reputation, especially these days with sites like Ripoff Report and other online review sites.

For anyone on the fence about Winchester Wireless, overall the service works great. You do have to be patience in the beginning but they got all the bugs worked out on our install in a decent amount of time. We get around 1.5Mbps.

As I told the installers and staff on Winchester Wireless I have dealt with, I commend the owner(s) for making the investment to bring affordable and reliable and now truly unlimited high speed internet up here.

One thing to remember is the big companies like Verizon and Comcast don't care at all to provide internet to areas like Shawneeland. The other available options we looked into like satellite, was heavily capped, something like 10GB a month and even though there is now a 4G cell tower up here, I know of no cell carrier that offers truly unlimited 4G high speed internet. I checked with Verizon, AT&T and Sprint and none were able to offer unlimited 4G that would not be throttled or capped.

I look forward to hearing more about the new technology that was mentioned by the owner. Please keep us, your customers, informed of the happenings and hopefully this will prevent these kinds of reports in the future. Maybe a email list or something since a great deal of people do not use Facebook.

RE: In addition

AUTHOR: WWNetOpM - ()

We do not and have never run application-specific traffic management (QoS) on any traffic running over our infrastructure. Regarding the soft-caps, this was used out of necessity in order to manage congestion on certain network segments which has been resolved. Soft-caps are no longer in effect, and have not been since early January, 2014.

I'd like to make it clear that at no point did we intend to deceive or lie to customers regarding the soft-caps. This miscommunication stemmed from a failure at the employee level and has since been rectified.

Any customers who have questions or would like to know more about the way we handle traffic within our network are invited to call Support at (540) 665-0800

#3 REBUTTAL Owner of company

Re: Caps & Throttling

AUTHOR: Winchester Wireless - ()

Thank you for your feedback, however your information is out of date.  In December 2013 we removed "soft caps" from our network as a whole.  900Mhz customers should typically see between 1-1.5mbps download speeds.  During the summer of 2014 we will be deploying new spectrum in the Shawneeland area, which will allow a majority of our 900Mhz customers to upgrade to a product that will provide download speeds of somewhere between 6-12mbps, depending on the rate plan they choose on this new product.

One of the problems of the 900Mhz spectrum is that there is limited bandwidth available in this lower frequency range.  With the advent of streaming video, customer bandwidth needs have steadily increased, thus creating a need for newer technologies available in higher spectrum that will still allow for non line-of-sight penetration.

I would encourage you, or anyone else reading this thread, to call our office and get more detailed information about what will soon be available in your area, and ultimately across our entire network.

Feel free to ask to speak with me directly and I will update you on the roll-out pland and projected timelines.  Should you be interested in these higher speeds, we could also discuss you being a beta customer for this new spectrum when we begin deploying it, because we will look to work with about a dozen customers for the first 30 days to thoroughly test the abilities and limitations of the new spectrum.

David Williamson
Owner
Winchester Wireless

In addition

AUTHOR: DFunk - ()

WW also run qos on traffic type.  For example your kids playing Internet Xbox games gets the lowest priorty compared to plain IP traffic such as an email or web browser traffic.  Streaming video i'm sure gets a lower priority as well from the sounds of it.  Plus y'all didn't even mention the outages.  I used to see anywhere from 100-200 outages a day.  Ranging anywhere from less than 1 sec to 30+ seconds.   My opinion WW's owner is a thief.

Me too..

AUTHOR: WWUSER2 - ()

I am a neighbor of WWUSER and his wife and a fellow Winchester Wireless customer, I have 900Mhz service, was told could not get better service they offer. He just sent me a email asking if I knew that Winchester Wireless was capping/slowing our connections on purpose for using Netflix or streaming videos.

I told him no, the install man told me no restrictions at all, speed or data use. The install man who claims he lives up here stated he and his family watch Netflix day till night with no problems.

I got this connection for Netflix only! I have noticed very slow connections and I can't connected to Netflix after watching a few hours but never in my wildest dreams would I have thought that Winchester Wireless would be doing this on purpose.

Winchester Wireless, remove this daily cap.

Happening to me/wife as well

AUTHOR: WWUSER - ()

Talk about prefect timing. I recommended Winchester Wireless last week to a new Manager at work who just moved to Shawneeland. He had done some research and just just sent we a link to another report here about Winchester Wireless asking what I thought and I found your post.

I have had this service for a little longer than you. Like you, my wife and I never had much trouble with the service in till after this past Christmas 2013 when my wife got a Kindle have plays videos/TV using Amazon Prime. She said that the internet would slow to a crawl after a few hours and become unuseable. We just chalked it up to "network issues" but it is now clear we are a victim of this as well.

Hopefully Winchester Wireless will fix this. They have to know have these streaming video/tv services are not going anywhere. I have a buddy who lives in the city who dumped his cable/Directv and use only the internet for tv/videos/sports and loves it.

To correct formatting

AUTHOR: LIEDtoinShawneeland - ()

Wal-Mart.com USA, LLC