Complaint Review: Work of Genius

• Updated: Thu, December 02, 2010

• Reported By: Anonymous — Miami beach Florida United States of America
Work of Genius
35 hibiscus island miami beach, Florida United States of America

Work of Genius Gino Cabanas is a big scam, he is a compulsive liar, a sociopath and a thief miami beach, Florida

*UPDATE EX-employee responds: more information

*Consumer Comment: Another Similar Story

*Consumer Comment: He's at it Again!

*General Comment: is this the man?

I am so ashamed to write, but I feel like Gino Cabanas has been conning people around the Miami area. He also borrowed money from me, he told me it was an investment and that his show was picked on Fox, he also told me he had a tv show he was producing and led me to believe I would be in it. I have been calling but his number has changed and he is no longer in the house at hibiscus island. If anyone knows anything, please contact me, while I didn't invest much, for me it was all I had and I need it back. He is a con artist and I fell for it, but want to make sure other people don't fall for the same thing and want to get my money back, he stole from me and my family and he should be behind bars where he can never steal money from anyone again.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 05/21/2010 10:05 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Work-of-Genius/miami-beach-Florida-33139/Work-of-Genius-Gino-Cabanas-is-a-big-scam-he-is-a-compulsive-liar-a-sociopath-and-a-thi-605697. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Work of Genius

#1 UPDATE EX-employee responds

more information

AUTHOR: slu16334 - (United States of America)

Another Similar Story

AUTHOR: desertbikini - (United States of America)

I was also approach by this guy through my OMP modeling portfolio.  Now let me start by saying that I have absolutely no acting experience except for my cheesy high school drama club.  I made no claims as to being an actress or the desire to be one for that matter.

Hi Miss...
My name is Gino Cabanas and I am producing a TV series
that shoots this fall. We are holding meetings in Los Angeles
for casting. I think you have a great look.

The NEW SERIES is called "THE MAGIC CITY" takes place
in 1975 and is being compared to 'The Sopranos'.

I have attached my IMDB link.
For verification.
Let me know and good luck,
EMAIL ME BELOW FOR MORE INFORMATION.
IF CHOSEN THE PAY WILL BE 800 PER DAY

After reading this I was fairly sure it was a scam; however, my husband said we should check it out just for fun.  Then I received this email.

I have attached the screenplay THE MAGIC CITY.
It is being called the Cuban Sopranos.
Academy Award Winner Lou Gossett Jr is
playing Chief Garvey.
We are in the early stages of casting.

Look at the part of Janet.
Let me know when you can discuss,
this great opportunity.
The pay starts at 800 per day
Feel free to call me for more info.
Gino Cabanas

Well of course this sparked my interest.  After reading over the part of "Janet Levine, the new young trophy wife with the perfect body that only the best money can buy", and noticing that her character had only 6 lines in the script.  I thought, hey for $800.00 a day, I can do eye candy.  Well that whole feeling went right out the window after personally speaking to him...I really got this creepy feeling from the whole conversation!  In a nutshell he just wanted to get together for a meeting.  No Audition? "No...I think you'd be perfect for the part".  What!?!? No audition, no screen test, no matter that I lack any experience as a professional actress?  I live 1500 miles from LA; there are thousands upon thousands of girls who are begging for some sort of acting job and you come to me?

This is when I started doing research and found this site.  I apologize to everyone for being so long winded, Im just happy to find others to verify my feelings and I am so relieved that I didnt do anything stupid!

He's at it Again!

AUTHOR: P.N. - (United States of America)

I just received the same e-mail! On OneModelPlace. I started e-mail correspondence on him via my personal e-mail. He left me his phone number (cell phone) and asked me to call to set up a meeting. I called and spoke directly to him. It was clear he had no idea who I was and was "winging it" when I asked him which character he had in mind for me in his upcoming show. He named all of the female characters in the play, not realizing I'd already read the whole script he sent me.
The new script he's trying to use is called "The Magic City." He says "It is being called the Cuban Sopranos." He told me the pay starts at $800 a day. I had a meeting with him tomorrow morning that I just canceled. He wanted to meet at a Starbucks an hour away... suspicious?
I've read that his contact information has been shut off. The following is how I contacted him. This contact information was working as of this morning.

Gino Cabanas
310-694-4460

vine@thevinestudio.com

If you need any more proof that this man is a fraud, please contact me here.
I saved all of the emails he sent me and took notes during my phone conversation with him.
Best of Luck!

#4 General Comment

is this the man?

AUTHOR: bri - (USA)

I just want to know if this is the guy he sent me a message on (((Redacted)))

(((Redacted)))--- picture is on this site

Hi Brittany,

Help Models Find Work

My name is Gino Cabanas and I am Producing a TV series
that Shoots this fall. We are holding meetings in Los Angeles
for casting. I think you have a great look.

My last film CUT OFF in which I directed was with
Academy Award winner Faye Dunaway, Malcolm McDowell
and Anne Archer.

The NEW SERIES is called "THE MAGIC CITY" takes place
in 1975 and is being compared to 'The Sopranos'.

I have attached my IMDB link.
(((Redacted)))/name/nm0127496 for verification.
Let me know and good luck,
EMAIL ME BELOW FOR MORE INFORMATION.