Complaint Review: World Access - Access America - Jefferson Insurance Company

• Submitted: Thu, July 16, 2009
  • Updated: Thu, July 16, 2009

• Reported By:Orlando Florida
World Access - Access America - Jefferson Insurance Company
P.O. Box 71533 Richmond, Virginia U.S.A.

World Access - AccessAmerica - Jefferson Insurance Companies denied reimbursement for trip cancellation Richmond Virginia

Due to the recent, unexpected illness of my husband, I unfortunately had to cancel a planned trip with my daughter to celebrate her college graduation. I purchased our tickets in January through Orbitz and also purchased trip cancellation insurance offered through AccessAmerica. (orbitz@accessamerica.com)

My husband fell ill in May and ended up in the hospital. Acting on his Doctor's advice, upon his release from the hospital I had to cancel the trip. Unfortunately, when I informed Orbitz and AccessAmerica and filed a claim to be reimbursed, they sent me a .pdf file of my policy #125913196 that included the policy's limitations and exclusions. In section 2 on page 6 of the policy it is stated that Trip Cancellation applies when 'A family Member who isn't traveling with you is seriously ill or injured. Specific requirement-the injury, illness, or medical condition must be considered life threatening, require hospitalization, or he or she must require your care." (Section 2) It turns out, however, that there is also an exclusion clause on page 17 whenever the illness is related to mental health, specifically "a mental or nervous health disorder (like anxiety, depression, neurosis, psychosis and others)." They are refusing reimbursement for this reason even though it is also clearly states under the General Exclusions heading that "You aren't covered for any loss that results directly from any of the following general exclusions, unless they're included in section 2". Due to the fact that my husband's illness was life threatening, did require hospitalization, and he continues to require my care, I am contesting this denial. I am also contesting the fact that travel insurance providers like AccessAmerica and MondialAssistance are able to maintain such exclusions in their policies. I feel strongly that this type of exclusion is discriminatory in nature and should not be allowed or tolerated.

Sheila
Orlando, Florida

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 07/16/2009 12:41 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/World-Access-Access-America-Jefferson-Insurance-Company/Richmond-Virginia-23286-4684/World-Access-AccessAmerica-Jefferson-Insurance-Companies-denied-reimbursement-for-tri-470415. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on World Access - Access America - Jefferson Insurance Company