Complaint Review: World Gym

• Updated: Thu, August 23, 2012

• Reported By: elkponc — Hammond Indiana United States of America
World Gym
8313 Indianapolis Blvd Highland, Indiana United States of America

World Gym ASF International Dishonest practices, lack of information, fraud and un-ethical business Highland, Indiana

*Consumer Comment: Read fine print

Almost three months into the program my husband injured himself badly. He could not walk nor do any exercise without pain shooting down his back. He thought he just pulled a muscle. He wound up being in bed for 6 weeks and barely walking. When I called the gym to let them know he would not be coming in due to the synoptic nerve injury they said, No problem let them know when he will be back. He couldnt go back. But I also noticed that we were still being charged. So I called again. Noone answered so I left a message.

In fact, I left three messages in total and none called me back. So I got online. Found the website and email customer services. Mentioned the situation and complaint about paying the months that we had not attended. No response. I called the number sometime in April or May.. Told the lady the situation. She said that they could refund the money, only part of it, with a letter from the doctors office. (Which I tried to get a couple of times but after no return calls, I got too busy and could not continue to follow through).

I also had told her that I did not think that we could continue the contract and asked if we could cancel. She said there was a cancellation fee. I didnt have the money so I figure I could let it ran its course. I had already sent an email through the contact us link stating I wanted to cancel my policy and would not be renewing. I didnt know that I had to give them another written form, since I had already email them and asked them to cancel the policy. (Which I copied to the main customer service email and sent to our local World Gym.)

Eventually I got through the to our local gym and complaint about the automatic withdrawals even when we were told that this would not happen. The young man on the other line did finally tell me that no, that wasnt the case and he didnt know why Mike would say otherwise but he would let him know I called. Mike never called me back. EVER.  So after trying to straightening  things out for three months, my husband just told me to let it complete the contract time. Contract expired in OCT. Now in March WE ARE GETTING BILLS. We werent aware that we were paying still until we got a bill for $182! We called and the girl said the contract was an auto renewal!

WHAT!! I had called left messages and emailed both the local and the 800 number only to continue to paying another 2 years!! She said that it was in my contract. That I had to give them at least thirty day noticed. I GAVE THEM ONE YEAR NOTICED!! She said I needed proof. It has been over a year; surely they are not going to have the messages nor my email on their system. What is going on. I bet they deleted and ignore me just tom make me pay.

I told her this was fraud. Neither did I asked them to continue my contract nor did I give them permission to continue to automatically withdraw from my account. She said it was in the Contract! So me cancelling one year ahead of time does not count??? She said that I had to prove it. Dont they records this things? Oh, and by the way, my husband got injured because of their lack of overseeing what he was doing.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 02/27/2012 04:37 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/World-Gym/Highland-Indiana-46321/World-Gym-ASF-International-Dishonest-practices-lack-of-information-fraud-and-un-ethical-845541. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on World Gym

Read fine print

AUTHOR: Kona_ryder - (United States of America)

I am currently a member of the gym and I am sorry about your husband's injury, but it is not the gym's fault. I have seen people get hurt here, especially back injures. None of which were from equipment malfunction or employee negligence. Every single injury was from improper lifting technique or from lifting more than the individual can handle. and it does state in the contract that, "Member and all guests agree that engagement in any physical exercise or activity or use of any club facility on the premises is done at his or her own risk."

As for the reason that they could not freeze or cancel the membership is in paragraph 9 in the contract, "If a member dies or becomes disabled whereby member is unable to use or receive all services contracted for, member or member's estate in case of death, may cancel membership by sending written notice of cancellation by certified or registered mail to A.S.F. International, 640 plaza drive, ste 300, highland ranch, co 80129-2399. Member or member's estate, as the case may be shall be liable for only that part of the charges allocable to the time prior to death or the onset of disability. Following cancelation, member will receive a refund of the amounts paid allocable after the death or the onset of disability within 30 days after receipt of the written cancelation notice. Refunds of the dues are prorated over the initial one-year term of the membership plan. Monthly dues already paid which are allocable to periods after cancellation will be refunded. Owner shall have the right to require and verify reasonable evidence of death or disability by such means as requiring member to supply owner's licensed physician with satisfactory written evidence of death or disability." As a result of not getting a doctor's note stating that your husband was disabled, the payments could not be canceled.

Lastly, when it comes to the payment company, ASF Internaional, charging your bank account after the contract has expired you would need to contact ASFInternational. I have had problems with ASF and when you deal with them, be sure to only communicate via e-mail or certified mail. Avoid talking on the phone because then you have no record to what has been said or was not said.