Complaint Review: XM Radio Satellite Services

• Submitted: Tue, February 23, 2010
  • Updated: Tue, February 23, 2010

• Reported By: Ken — Green Valley Arizona United States of America
XM Radio Satellite Services
1500 Eckington Place NE Washington, District of Columbia United States of America

XM Radio Satellite Services Employment of automatic renewal charges without proper notification Washington, District of Columbia

On May 2, 2009 I prepaid XM Radio for three months of service following the free trial service for purchasing a new car. The e-mailed confirmation form listed all of the services provided with an underlined Terms and Conditions URL to click on. Like most users, I did notread the 5 page fine print, assuming it to be comparable to other satellite services.

Soon after this, I lost my job and could no longer afford this service. I expected my signal to be cut off after the August 28 expiration date. Three weeks following this, I received an e-mailed XM notification stating I was delinquent on my next payment and my service would be disconnected shortly. There was no mention of any other consequence for payment failure or what the amount of the charge was.

When it stopped I expected that to be end of the story. However onDecember 9, 2009 I received a collection notice from EOS CCA stating XM was pursuing payment of a $38. [continued below]....

.....86 debt. I sent an e-mailed message to the XM homepage contact address to request a waiver of this charge. A reply stated my case was sent to XM Listener Care to contact me shortly. However, they never did.

Then on February 22, 2010I received a second collection notice stating, "Our client's instructions are very clear: Use all appropriate collection means available to collect the amount due." I called XM Listener Care the next day to state my case and request a waiver ofthis charge. I informed her of a former customer, named Joe R.,who posted a similar complaint on (((Redacted))) February 3, 2010, where he described being hounded bythe EOS CCA collection agency and calling Listening Care about it. He stated his$48 charge was waived by a representative named Mandy. When I told my representative of this precedent, she denied XM ever waiving a renewal charge, although she admitted there was a Mandy working in that department. She offered to tranfer my call to one her supervisors, but during the process I was cut off.

My objective is to simply have this deceptive charge removed, but I am willing to involve myself in a litigation if a lawyer wants to represent me.However, I am unemployed and cannot afford legal services alone. I believe no satellite services should institute an automatic renewal billing policy without customer consent and without proper notification during initial subscription.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 02/23/2010 01:51 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/XM-Radio-Satellite-Services/Washington-District-of-Columbia-20002/XM-Radio-Satellite-Services-Employment-of-automatic-renewal-charges-without-proper-notifi-573821. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on XM Radio Satellite Services