Complaint Review: XM radio

• Submitted: Thu, January 20, 2011
  • Updated: Thu, January 20, 2011

• Reported By: A — indianapolis Indiana U.S.A.
XM radio

XM radio bait and switch - agreed to radio only to be signed up for other services Internet

I hate XM! This is a little over a year old but when I saw the other posts, I wanted to add mine.

I called to start a years worth of service for my husband. The woman on the phone said that since I was getting the year I was able to get a promotional discount on another radio. (20.00 For a radio that is normally 80ish) It being November I said sure since I could probably use it for a Christmas gift

I went over the contract with her. I dont know who here has went through it but it is a lot of, we are giving you X at this price and Y at this price is this okay, yes or no. I liked this a lot because most places say okay, charging you now ect ect. . I was very excited because the process seemed so smooth. I gave my CC info for the year contract and the radio and was given an account number for my husbands account.

I check my credit card account two months later and there is an 80 dollar charge!!! I called customer service and apparently this radio was activated" and also had a three month subscription. Was this mentioned in my "verbal" contract? NO. Was the radio even out of its box? NO ( I never did get around to giving it to anyone) I was told multiple times by this person that I had to agree to the contract or I wouldnt have been charged. I told them multiple times another contract was NEVER mentioned and that the discount was only for a 20 dollar radio, nothing else. This got me nowhere and I was transferred to the returns (I think) department.

I told them I wanted to send the radio back and get my money back; I was told I would be charged an early termination fee. I asked, how can I have an early termination fee for a radio I have no account number on or has never even been powered up? She said that when I said yes" to the radio, I was also agreeing to open another account w/ this radio with three months of service. I said this was never gone over and we just really went round and round for about 30 minutes. Now I know that its not this processors that I was speaking to fault. I understand call centers and the last place I would want to be is in returns talking to someone that was as mad as I was. ( I attempted to keep my cool but was very upset I was duped out of my money) Because of this I decided to cut my losses and not waste her or anymore of my time. I asked her to just give me 40 dollar back. I figured for a lesson learned 40 dollars was kind of cheap half to them, half to me. She agreed, two months later I get a credit from XM from only 19.00.

I did not want to go through the harassment of being told what I agreed" to when I didnt again, so I chalked it up to this 80 dollar radio costing me more than it should have. It has sat in my garage ever since.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 01/20/2011 09:26 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/XM-radio/internet/XM-radio-bait-and-switch-agreed-to-radio-only-to-be-signed-up-for-other-services-Inter-684932. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on XM radio