Complaint Review: Xlibris Corporation

• Submitted: Wed, April 14, 2004
  • Updated: Fri, May 14, 2010

• Reported By:Livonia Michigan
Xlibris Corporation
436 Walnut St., 11th Floor Philadelphia, Pennsylvania U.S.A.

Xlibris Corporation ripoff poor service mediocre product Philadelphia Pennsylvania

*Consumer Comment: Xlibris Exceeds Expectations

*Consumer Comment: Possible explanation ..outsourcing their work to Tupper Lake

*Author of original report: Bad karma for yours truly

*Author of original report: It's like a nightmare!

*Author of original report: Nope.

*Author of original report: I got my pictures back!

*Author of original report: Yay. I knew you could do it, folks.

*Author of original report: No money. No pictures. Website link still broken.

*Author of original report: The promise

The first three times I self-published books through Xlibris it was a pleasant, hassle-free experience. The fourth time has been a nightmare, and a very expensive one.

I was told the project would take 4-6 months. It ended up taking 9 months. I submitted the manuscript in June. They didn't start working on it until October, and then only because I wrote an a letter to Xlibris management pleading with them to just get it done. The editor did a sloppy, mediocre job with the layout, botching one of the photographs (which I was forced to pay $100 to reorder from the photo archive I'd leased it from in order to correct.)

When I ordered author copies of my book, they charged my credit card twice for the order. Six weeks ago I asked them to refund my money (approximately $1200.) They told me they would, but according to my online credit card statements they haven't. They have also failed to post a picture of my book on the online bookstore page where they're supposed to be selling it (which is why I published with them in the first place): there's just a broken link there.

I have asked them several times to correct this, and I've been ignored. I have also asked Xlibris several times to return fifteen photographs belonging to me (worth about $150) that were used as illustrations in the book. At first, they told me they couldn't return them because they needed to keep them until the book was published. After the book came out, they said, "What pictures?" Again, to date these have not been returned to me.

In short, once Xlibris got its fee up front for publishing my book, it appears that going through with actually publishing the book--what I paid for them to do--was an extremely low priority. As it's now demonstrating with its botched online bookstore page, actually selling my book (which is very much part of the deal) is completely beneath its notice, as is refunding the $1200 it overcharged me, returning my property to me, or reimbursing me for the added expense of correcting their mistakes.

Anne
Livonia, Michigan

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 04/14/2004 08:21 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Xlibris-Corporation/Philadelphia-Pennsylvania-19106-3703/Xlibris-Corporation-ripoff-poor-service-mediocre-product-Philadelphia-Pennsylvania-87597. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Xlibris Corporation

Xlibris Exceeds Expectations

AUTHOR: Orange County Virgin - (United States of America)

I recently published with Xlibris and my whole experience was wonderful from start to finish. I submitted my manuscript in January and they had it edited and turned around to me in two days.

I had two major corrections to make after publication and they gave me a REALLY fair and decent price. They made the corrections in less than a week and had the revised edition up about ten days.

Xlibris has outstanding customer service.

Xlibris has outstanding copyediting personnel.

Xlibris has outstanding author liasons.

The cover, layout and format of my book are as good as anything put out by Simon & Schuster, Harper-Collins, St. Martins or any of the other big presses.

The e-mail marketing campaign worked. I got reviewed by a top local magazine within one month of release.

You must remember this about self-publishing: A book is all about content. To be successful, you have to find a niche, establish yourself and produce something that somebody wants.

Xlibris does their part extremely well.

Possible explanation ..outsourcing their work to Tupper Lake

AUTHOR: Dunghater - (U.S.A.)

I don't know for certain, but it sounds to me as if Xlibris may be outsourcing their work to Tupper Lake, NY. I think this is worth looking into. Anyway, best of luck to you. I hope you prevail. It's a shame you've had to go through all of this trouble.

Bad karma for yours truly

AUTHOR: Anne - (U.S.A.)

I wrote them an ugly message threatening a lawsuit and they put up a legible picture of my book cover.

What makes me miserable about this situation is that my relationship with Xlibris is shot. As someone who works in the public service sector myself, I know that nagging and threatening is the worst thing a customer can do if s/he wants cooperation, but it seemed to me that nobody listened to me when I was nice. And as a client, how can I ever trust them after this? I'm dependent on their honesty and competence to accurately record and disperse my royalties for sales of this book, and that makes me very uneasy.

It's like a nightmare!

AUTHOR: Anne - (U.S.A.)

They finally did put up a photo of the cover--a complete scan of the front and back cover, as a matter of fact. Only the scan is squeezed into a template space that was designed only to show a FRONT cover, so that the image of front and back are anamorphically squeezed into an illegible blur.

Are they really this incompetent? Or do they just hate me?

I got my pictures back!

AUTHOR: Anne - (U.S.A.)

Now let's see if they fix the web page:

Yay. I knew you could do it, folks.

AUTHOR: Anne - (U.S.A.)

I called my financial institution today and they said that I did finally receive the refund for the overcharge.

Still waiting for the pictures. The link on the bookstore page's stll broken.

No money. No pictures. Website link still broken.

AUTHOR: Anne - (U.S.A.)

My last three books each took two months to produce. What happened, Xlibris? Downsizing? Outsourcing? A voodoo curse?

If I don't get my refund by Tuesday, I'm calling Mr. Chargeback.

The promise

AUTHOR: Anne - (U.S.A.)

An Xlibris representative told me that my charge card overcharge has been refunded, my 15 photographs are being shipped to me via UPS, and they're going to fix my bookstore page.

If this actually happens, I'll let you know.

I should emphasize that I wouldn't be so mad at Xlibris if I didn't KNOW they can do better than this.