Complaint Review: Yelp

• Submitted: Fri, May 24, 2013
  • Updated: Fri, May 24, 2013

• Reported By: jr — Vienna Virginia
706 Mission St San Francisco, California USA

Yelp, yelp.com Yelp lists my business for free on their search site, however they "filter" all my positive reviews, so people cannot see them San Francisco California

Yelp lists businesses online both as free listings and paid listings. Small businesses like mine cannot afford their advertsing rates, so try to keep positive reviews in order to come up in searches. Yelp, however, punishes small businesses if they do not sign on for paid ads. They do this by "filtering" all of their positive reviews. When filtered, viewers cannot see these reviews, so they do nothing to help those of us with small business listings. They "claim" their "review filter" keeps inappropriate and/or unauthorized reviews from being published on our listings. However, they have no problem putting negative reviews on our listings.

In fact, they placed  a very negative review on my listing which was meant for a different business called Pam's Pet Grooming. It was very obvious that this review wasn't meant for my business as I board dogs, and don't offer grooming. Yet, even though they finally admitted this was not a review of my business, they kept this negative review on my site for months while my reputation suffered. I contacted them constantly asking them to remove this, however, they didn't get around to it for 6 months, even after they admitted it was their mistake.

In order to re-build my reputation after this black mark, I got 6 clients to write positive 5-star reviews. but, of course, every one of them was "filtered" out. when I contsted that it seemed a bit ironic that all six were rejected, they gave me their BS response that their computer algorhythem which fliters reviews does "sometimes" filter legitimate reviews. In my case, this happens 100% of the time!

They are liars and seem to think business owners are stupid enough not to see what they are doing. They are purposefully not allowing us our positive reviews unless we advertise with them. I know countless business owners who have suffered the same injustice.

You should make a deal with them to right these wrongs. Everyone is turning against them, but they are untouchabled since they cannot be sued. My business is listed on 50 other sites, and none of them ever filter my reviews. And if Yelp thinks their review filter is so reliable, why did it let through a bad review meant for another company, and block 6 legitimate reveiws???? This practice is unethical and they could have cared less if they ruined my reputation because of their error.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 05/24/2013 08:06 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Yelp/San-Francisco-California-94103/Yelp-yelpcom-Yelp-lists-my-business-for-free-on-their-search-site-however-they-filte-1053721. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Yelp