Complaint Review: Yelp

• Submitted: Tue, March 13, 2012
  • Updated: Sun, December 30, 2012

• Reported By: Jeff — Turnersville New Jersey U.S.A.

Yelp , yelp.com YELP removed my negative review of a local restaurant... four times! Internet, Internet

*Consumer Comment: The truth about Yelp

Do not believe the reviews you read at Yelp.com.  I posted the factual review below after eating at the Woodbury Station Cafe last week.  Apparently Yelp hid it under "Filtered Reviews" where nobody will see it.  Go ahead, find it if you can. Seeing that, the friend who ate with me that day posted the same review more under his own name but each time it was moved to "Filtered" where nobody will see it. I went to Ripoff Reports intending to post a general warning there, only to find 55 others saying the same thing about Yelp reviews.

Yelp's explanation about filtering reviews says they do it when they believe a review is posted by the business to make itself look good or by a competitor for the opposite reason.  THIS IS NEITHER.  I am simply a customer who ate there and got good service but mediocre food.  If that's not why people post on Yelp and go to Yelp to read reviews then I simply don't understand the reason for Yelp's existence... except maybe as a shill for businesses, businesses that probably support them.

Here's my review again.  I wrote it carefully to make it as factual as possible. If Yelp intends to dump it again, the least they could do is email me about it first stating their reasons.   Note:  I posted this entire note as a new review but it immediately went to "Filtered" so apparently both my friend and I are now blackballed by Yelp.

"A friend and I stopped in for breakfast at about 10 AM yesterday. We were promptly seated outside in a brick porch area enclosed by clear plastic. The idea is nice but noise from truck traffic and a seriously rocking table made us wish we were inside the quaint dining room instead.

Both of us chose the Ashcat breakfast, described on the menu as "2 Buckwheat or regular pancakes with real maple syrup, 2 eggs to order plus fruit medley - choice of meat." BTW, don't go by the Woodbury Station Cafe's online menu. It's incomplete and the prices have been raised by 25% since it was posted.

Buckwheat pancakes are usually darker than regular pancakes but mine were burnt nearly black, my scrambled eggs were overcooked (actually browned) and the single, small piece of scrapple had been deep fried until it was hard and dry.

My friend's regular pancakes were good but his eggs were like mine and his sausage was two McDonalds sausage patties. I'm serious, they looked and tasted exactly like the ones McDonalds serves in breakfast sandwiches! Microwaved pre-cooked sausage anyone?

For both of us the "fruit medley" was several small pieces of orange, a small wedge of strawberry, one grape and a single blueberry, all served in the kind of disposable plastic cup included with cough medicines. Worse, they must have been sitting out for quite a while because orange and strawberry pieces were dried out and unappetizing.

The best part of our experience was our server, who was pleasant, prompt and attentive. However, on our way out we saw a man we assumed to be the owner chewing her out loudly and publicly for some infraction so I wouldn't be surprised if she seeks employment elsewhere. In any case, that's the sort of thing usually done in private, not in front of customers.

With two cups of coffee, our breakfast bill came to $26.10. Adding a well earned $7 tip brought it to $33.10.

We won't be back. If this normal for the Woodbury Station Cafe and you want to experience it, better get there while it's still open."

As I said, don't believe the reviews you read on Yelp. I didn't think the above review was unfair, just factual, but apparently it was judged too negative to be seen by Yelp readers.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 03/13/2012 12:33 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Yelp/internet/Yelp-yelpcom-YELP-removed-my-negative-review-of-a-local-restaurant-four-times-Inter-853248. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Yelp

The truth about Yelp

AUTHOR: Jim - (U.S.A.)

I just want to make sure my review is attached to yours because Yelp did the exact same thing to me. Once the company paid up the my real life review was removed. No doubt about it, Yelp is not an honest company. If you

pay their business fees you don't have to worry about honest reviews.