Complaint Review: Young Drivers of Canada

Young Drivers of Canada
Vancouver, British Columbia United States of America

Young Drivers of Canada Epic Communication Failure Vancouver, British Columbia

*REBUTTAL Owner of company: Young Drivers Response to Customer Concerns

I`m incredibly disatisfied with Young Driver`s of Canada`s service.

First, my instructor spent more time talking to me about my personal life than she did teaching me, which got me emotionally worked up during my paid time with her when I was there to learn. Consequently I learned less well than I would have if she had just done her job.

Second, the car was always messy. It was filled with garbage and debris, and the cup holder always had half filled, strongly sented beverages that were irritating.

Third, and most importantly, there was very poor communication between YD instructors, administration, and management. My instructor reschedulled two classes, and I had to reschedule one class, and the administration team messed up my and my instructor's schedules so badly that I ended up doing classes out of order - for example the emergency manouvers class before the parking class. They also scheduled my for days or times that I was not available for, and had told them I was not available for. Consequently it took them months for me to complete the course.

YD also partners with a program called CogniFit to measure driving aptitude. After a few months, Cognifit will delete your data with no warning. It is not their responsibility to warn customers of this storage policy, as they work through YD. YD does not inform its students of the time limit. I had all of my data deleted with only 2 sessions left. Cognifit would have to set me back to 0 to complete it.

Fourth, I was lied to. I actually ended up failing the YD course and my instructor lied to me about it! She told me that I would pass regardless of my performance on the last lesson. She did not inform me that my performance on the last lesson was being judged on a pass/fail basis. During the lesson she talked at and distracted me about personal issues and I performed poorly. At the end of the lesson she told me I would get my certificate in the mail saying I passed YD. In the end, I got the ICBC insurance reduction certificate, but still managed to fail the course itself - so no YD certificate. YD never formally contacted me to explain the results of my course.

Finally, my instructor actually did not update my coursebook the entire time I was with her. She only updated her own notes. She kept my book for over a month while I waited for it to be updated.

As a hilarious aside, one of the pictures in the YD classroom slideshows includes an adult oriented billboard posting. I wonder how many underage kids see that each year, since it is a franchise?

You might say that it doesn't matter - the certificate is just for hanging on the wall anyway, its the ICBC insurance form that is important, and you'd be right. My problem is this:

1. At no point was I informed of YD policy's on pass/failure during the in-car lessons
2. YD's disconnect between its admin side and instructor side caused me great inconvienience.
3. I contacted a manager at the Vancouver branch, and was offered to be given some pointers on the results of my course. A small compensation at least, but there was at no point any promise to improve their system or their communication. I was told I could purchase another lesson, and re-do the final exam. I informed them that I would not be making another purchase, but felt I should get another class with a different instructor in which to do my exam. YD was not agreeable to this suggestion.

I can't believe I paid $1200.00 for this terrible service, and an even more terrible education. Maybe most people don't talk about it because YD caters to kids and many new immigrants, and I am neither of those and willing to speak out - not sure. Maybe my situation was unusual - but I doubt it because it is their communication system that is failing.

Regardless, I paid more than the course was worth. Young Drivers: Rip-Off.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 12/12/2011 04:33 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Young-Drivers-of-Canada/Vancouver-British-Columbia-/Young-Drivers-of-Canada-Epic-Communication-Failure-Vancouver-British-Columbia-808364. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Young Drivers of Canada

#1 REBUTTAL Owner of company

Young Drivers Response to Customer Concerns

AUTHOR: Young Drivers of Canada - (Canada)

I am very sorry to hear about your disappointment with your Young Drivers experience. We take customer complaints and feedback very seriously. We investigate into every issue to hopefully put into practice or ensure that the issues do not repeat themselves as quickly as possible.

Since you have posted this, your local YD Centre has connected with you directly to address your concerns.   I hope that you will be satisfied with the resolutions to your concerns since your conversations with our Regional BC Director.

We thank you for your feedback and for giving us the opportunity to help make your experience a better one with us.

Young Drivers of Canada is Canadas largest driver training organization.  Established in 1970, YD has grown to over 140 classrooms nationally and has taught over 1 million novice drivers.  YD is committed to teaching the skills needed to keep drivers safe on the road through its proprietary Collisionfree! Approach.  For more information please visit www.yd.com