reporters

27 Sunny Oaks Dr. San Rafael, California United States of America
  • Phone: 1-800-211-2105
  • Web:
  • Category: Eye Care

ZENNI Optical ZenniOptical.com Chinese company making cheap frames and glasses with no one checking quality oversight for their product. San Rafael, California

*Consumer Comment: I am very happy with my glasses from Zenni

*Consumer Comment: dissatisfied

*General Comment: Eye glasses.

*Consumer Comment: My experience with Zenni Optical is positive

The Eyeglass frames sold by Zenni Oprtical are made in China to the lowest possible cost and quality. Although the old saying goes, "you get what you pay for" how can that apply to eyeglass frames that are not regulated by anyone? I purchased two pair of glasses and they were rimless. The screws came loose, the frames broke in half and the lens fell out. When I complained, I was told that I may get 50% off the frames ONLY. Their frames are under 30.00 and average 10.00 maybe. If you get titanium, it's almost 40.00 plus the lens, plus coating, plus plus plus.

I reordered two pair to get my 50% discount and I was told it was past the 30 days and only for the frames. This was said in spite of an email received saying that I will get 50% off of the frames and to the place the lens in myself. Can you believe that. Get two frames that already have shown themselves to be substandard and put the lens in myself. [continued below]....
..... Oh, they would supply the tool if I need it to install the lens. One pair is rimless and the other a partial rim as per the pictures.
We are talking about our eyes, our vision when driving, reading and everday use.

I am disabled and handicapped, following the ADA guidelines and Medical care of SSI reporting the company to the ADA arm of enforcement and the FDA to see how a company can operate in the USA with no oversight of their product quality.
Stay away from ZENNI OPTICAL no matter how tempting their prices are, I am getting two pair made as evidence for the ADA and FDA. They are truly giving you what you pay for, garbage.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 03/03/2011 02:54 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/ZENNI-Optical/San-Rafael-California-94903/ZENNI-Optical-ZenniOpticalcom-Chinese-company-making-cheap-frames-and-glasses-with-no-one-702277. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on ZENNI Optical

I am very happy with my glasses from Zenni

AUTHOR: Marge - ()

I got a pair of $6.95 glasses from Zinni after I misplaced the $350 glasses I got from from a local eyecare business.  The glasses from Zinni fit well, look good, and I see well with them.  It's 4 months since I ordered them, and am ordering my second pair that I hope will be as good.  I have had many glasses that cost $200 and more that had problems with fit and screws coming loose, etc. My husband got a pair of glasses from Zinni after our Chinese exchange student told us that we were crazy to pay so much for glasses. He was right.  My husband is about to order another pair from Zinni. His glasses cost $400 in person, and $45 through Zinni - and the vision is excellent.   Glasses in the US are a total ripoff.

dissatisfied

AUTHOR: paul - (United States of America)

i am very dissatisfied, my order is not shipped, although there is an electronic submission. i was assured i will get it by today

do not buy from here

from a representative. I just check with the office that we have sent the package to you on 2012-12-4. If USPS did not receive the shipment, their website will only shows electronic shipping info received. Would you please wait for two more days to see if they have any update

i ambeing bounce by customer service

#3 General Comment

Eye glasses.

AUTHOR: Gershon - (United States of America)

I can believe some have bad exeriecnce with Xenni optics as described above.  In general, Chinese products vary from poor to excellent.  The typical prices by optics houses is theft:  An internet price for decent safety frames is about $3.  From my (dated) experience purchasing lens, the retail price should be $10 to $ 20 / pair.

I feel I can trust my opinions:  My PhD permitted me to make many contributions in a research environment with diverse optics and optical trains.

I will purchase a few pairs from Zenni, since the markup by their competition is criminal.  Choosing a prescription for intermediate distances (which a shop such as Zenni permits) may seem mysterious to some, but any person who has a passing grade in physics for study in the not too distant past can handle the formulae.  Curiously opticians will not make this calculation in spite of salaries thatjudging from their prices must be about $1000 / hr.

I can afford a few lemons, since the competition has such ridiculous prices.  Anyone can judge how well a new pair of glasses work.  If the prescription is wrong, one cannot see as well as should be realized, but NO harm is done to ones eyes.  Most optometrists and opthamologists will check new glasses to verify they are the right prescription for no charge.

My experience with Zenni Optical is positive

AUTHOR: Poetica - (U.S.A.)

I'm surprised to read that these complaints were unresolved. From a reputable source I was told that Zenni Optical delivered as promised. Happy that I might be saving a substantial amount of money on the purchase of less expensive eye glasses, I then decided to pay more for a eye exam since I am uninsured. I was happy to have the trade off, more thorough exam in exchange for less expensive glasses.

The eye Dr was great until I asked him to include my PD (pupillary distance) on  my prescription because that indicated to him that I wasn't buying my glasses through his office, which I had already explained in advance that I would not be purchasing glasses. He gave me the wrong number as I found out about through the Zenni Optical site. I had to pay another location to give me that measurement that is essential in filling the prescription for glasses.

The Zenni site had all the information that I needed to order my new frames and some of it is pretty elusive information considering I've worn glasses for 40+ years. For slightly less than $50 I ordered the most awesome glasses I've ever worn.

The total amount included the charge for an extra strength prescription, shipping, anti reflective coating, and a higher index to ensure that my glasses didn't end up looking like Mr. Magoo's....AND some snap on polarized lenses to turn the glasses into shades.

I had fast and courteous customer service that communicated by email and through the Zenni chat line. The follow up contact is because I forgot to include the anti reflective coating with my original order. It was added as an additional invoice and I was told to make note and check my total balance and that would be in two different transactions.

I hate to see Zenni slammed for giving me more than what I expected. When I have extra money I plan on getting another pair as my budget allows. I'm 100% pleased with this alternative to paying hundreds of dollars anywhere else. The only negative that to me isn't a true negative is that I had to do my homework on how to be responsible to order what I wanted that was appropriate for my eye health. I had to measure previous frames and upload a picture to "try" glasses on. I had to consider my limitations such as my prescription is too strong to order rimless frames (the lenses tend to be thicker at the ends). I had to do my homework but I'm really happy with what I got. I was prepared to have to throw them away and possibly waste almost $50...that was far from the case with me. I hope that you will give them another try. Scouts honor I don't work for Zenni or stand to profit in anyway other than if they stay in business I will benefit by ordering my glasses through them. I have other reports on here that can substantiate this information. I'm sorry your experience was so rotten but mine was not.