Complaint Review: Zales

• Submitted: Mon, October 27, 2003
  • Updated: Wed, July 29, 2009

• Reported By:Daytona Beach Florida
1700 International Speedway Boulevard Daytona Beach, Florida U.S.A.
  • Phone: 386-253-6559
  • Web:
  • Category: Jewelers

Zales ripoff Charged a $29.00 late fee for one day being late on our last payment. Daytona Beach Florida

*Consumer Comment: Not a zales thing

*Consumer Suggestion: your own fault

*UPDATE Employee: Are you new to this earth???

*Consumer Suggestion: You're very lucky

*UPDATE Employee: Credit Cards

*Consumer Comment: Not a ripoff ..It would have been nice of them to allow a grace period

My husband and I went to zales to purchase rings for our wedding. We ordered our rings and they took our sizes and they switched the sizes.

My husbands ring came back a size 6 and my ring was sized to 8. This was done one month before we got married.

I had to return the rings to have them resized. The sales clerk was snotty to me and it was their fault the rings were sized incorrectly.

We received a Zales card. The agreement with the card was 12 months no interest.

We paid every month faithfully. Not one time we were ever late. Until the last payment. It arrived at Zales one day late.

So now they have decided to add 29.00 late fee to the already paid balance. We owe them nothing on the balance.

Now just a 29.00 late fee for one day being late.

Daytona Beach, Florida

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 10/27/2003 08:47 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Zales/Daytona-Beach-Florida-32114/Zales-ripoff-Charged-a-2900-late-fee-for-one-day-being-late-on-our-last-payment-Daytona-70184. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Zales

Not a zales thing

AUTHOR: Mase84 - (U.S.A.)

even though customers are charged 29 dollars for late fees on the zales charge account, it has nothing to do with zales. the zales diamond card is done by citi bank and as so citi bank dictates what the late fees are, zales has no control over citi banks practices

#2 Consumer Suggestion

your own fault

AUTHOR: Jason Tillo - (U.S.A.)

It is your own fault you had to pay the late fee. Your payment was late. Are you sure you are old enough to get married, or did you grow up without realizing there are consequences for your actions. I bet it was you that filled out the form inncorrectly and that is why the rings were the wrong size. From your attitude I would say that you are too young to be married and fill out a proper form.

Are you new to this earth???

AUTHOR: Jason Taylor - (U.S.A.)

I didn't know that people existed who signs up for something like a 90 day no interest or a 1 year no interest and doesn't understand the consept. You stated that you were never late except the very last payment and now you have to pay the 29.00 late fee.??? Well what did you expect?? I don't get it. You have a due date on you bill that tells you and everyone else in this world when you should pay your bills and you don't pay attention to that but you want to complain about a "late fee". Who's at fault here just stop and think about it for a minute. Everyone else knows what the word Due date means so why don't you??? I'm sure you have other creditors and they have Due dates so what is the difference between them and this situation......Nothing that's what. You've just forgot about this credit card that you signed up for that like everyone else in the world has a day that it has to be paid. Do yourself a favor and realize that all credit cards are the same. There is no difference if it's a 90 day or a 1 yr no interest.
IT HAS TO BE PAID BEFORE THAT DATE! You signed the agreement and should know the terms of all your plastic in your wallet and if you don't then you shouldn't have them. Stop your complaining for something that was all you fault!

#4 Consumer Suggestion

You're very lucky

AUTHOR: Mike - (U.S.A.)

You're very lucky if they don't charge you with a bunch of interest next. On most of these zero APR promotions, you have to pay off in full within the promo period or ALL the interest normally due if it weren't zero APR will be charged to you. For being one day late, you get no benefit from the zero APR offer.

There is really no credit card out there that will cut you any slack for being a day late. Even the "no late fee" ones will penalize you with higher APRs. It is their business model, they are expecting people to be late and they make big profits off of it.

Credit Cards

AUTHOR: Brandi - (U.S.A.)

Usually, if the sales associate is nice, and you are nice back, they WILL (or can) call the Credit Card Center and waiver the fee..but that is a CURTIOUSY from us to you. But I tell all my customers who have the Zales card, to NOT be late, bc there is a late fee, PLUS the will tack on the interest...

Not a ripoff ..It would have been nice of them to allow a grace period

AUTHOR: Josie - (U.S.A.)

I think it's a shame they sized your rings wrong, and they should have fixed that promptly. But I fail to see how charging a late fee for a payment that was, by your own admission, actually LATE constitutes a ripoff. It would have been nice of them to allow a grace period, since it was only 1 day late, but they really don't have to by any means.