• Report: #719609

• Updated: Mon, October 01, 2012

• Reported By: PDX — Portland Oregon United States of America
Zipcar Portland
739 Southwest 10th Avenue Portland, Oregon United States of America

Zipcar Portland Ripoff artists and lousy company - Flexcar was 100 times better - Portland, Oregon

*Consumer Comment: Oh Please

I had been a member of Flexcar for years. I've been completely unhappy with the company since it changed to Zipcar. They are way more expensive and I think the customer service is awful now. I rented a car for two hours and was caught in terrible traffic on the freeway on the way back to drop it off. I had no control over this issue. I called and tried to extend the reservation - it was already reserved. I called again and talked to customer service, and told them I would be slightly late. Ended up being 10 minutes late - nobody seemed to be waiting for the car when I returned it. Got my bill and was charged a $50 fee for being 10 minutes late, plus charged for using the car for an extra 10 mins.

I realize people will say that I signed the contract and agreed to those terms. I did. That does NOT make this policy fair or just. I used the company out of necessity. Zipcar made $50, plus another $4 because they charged for an additional 15 minute rental (even though it was not 15 minutes late).

This is just not the same company now that it's not Flexcar anymore. They're a money hungry company now. I do not, under any circumstances, recommend Zipcar. It's spendy as hell and in my opinion, not worth it.

On top of all else my car smelled like some crappy perfume when I picked it up and I ended up driving around with the windows down to clear the smell out.

BAD COMPANY. I have cancelled my membership.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 04/19/2011 03:46 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Zipcar-Portland/Portland-Oregon-97205/Zipcar-Portland-Ripoff-artists-and-lousy-company-Flexcar-was-100-times-better-Portlan-719609. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Zipcar Portland

Oh Please

AUTHOR: Adam - (United States of America)

So, you're angry that the company was purchased. Deal with it.

Zipcar's website warns you of late fees, and to make sure you plan for enough time. Because you failed to take traffic into consideration, you were late, and charged according to their policy.

It is completely fair. $50 is a standard late fee. If you overdraw $0.01 with Bank of America, you get slammed with a $35 overdraft fee. You knew the terms, and agreed to them.

I've used Zipcar for years, and not once have I had a late fee. Why? Because I pay the $10 for an extra hour instead of risking the $50 for being late.

Seriously, reaching much? A rental car that smells like perfume. What did you expect? Be happy it didn't smell like smoke and sex and urine. It is a rental car, and you aren't the only one that uses it. Zipcar is not responsible for making sure the car smells the way you like it to.