Complaint Review: A Hint of Vintage, Holly Latch

• Updated: Thu, October 10, 2013

• Reported By: Tina — Pembroke Pines Florida
A Hint of Vintage, Holly Latch
Hollywood, Florida USA

Holly Latch A Hint of Vintage,Grossly Undervalues Items for Her Own Gains Hollywood Florida

*General Comment: I am the dealer that bought the lamps

*General Comment: Taking Advantage of the Elderly is Disgusting

*Consumer Comment: How do you know she knew?

*Author of original report: Do My Research...Really

*Consumer Comment: Honest and Reliable

*Author of original report: Who are you and what are you talking about?

*Consumer Comment: Unfair statements

In July,2013 our elderly friend who is 87 years old was placed in an assisted living facility because he could no longer live alone. His situation was dire because the facility required 2 months of upfront money.
We contacted Holly Latch, A Hint of Vintage( specializing in estate sales) and explained the circumstance our friend was facing. She came by and surveyed the house and its contents and decided she
couldn't hold  an estate sale in the home due to the broken air conditioner.
 In the course of the evening we explained to Holly how clueless we were as far as selling a houseful of furniture, knick knacks, pricing, we needed her help that's why we called her and also how difficult it would be for us to do the sale on our own since my husband  was recovering from hip replacement surgery.   She made a suggestion of sending out a  large number of a blast email to members of her Antique Club with our name & number. People would call and make an appointment to make it easier for us to deal with and "that our phone would be ringing off the hook." For her services/expertise we would Give her some of the items she had already put aside to purchase. The next day &  the day after we received 2-3 calls, one being from her assistant. That was it.
When it was time to total up  the goods,there were (3) large vintage glass table lamps  2-turquoise, 1- white (along with a numbered and signed Litho, silver plated flatware, foo dogs, framed picture, vintage  rotary dial phone, linen, Bavarian vintage plates, plus too many more to mention. Anyway, she meticulously checked over the lamps and everything else.. She said she recently  remodeled her kitchen and the turquoise lamps would match beautifully. However,  she pointed out that one of turquoise lamps had a chip on the side by the bottom, & all  3 lamps were loose and moving along the where the glass & base met  & a finial or two were missing. She was the person in the know, we knew nothing...this was her field of expertise....Total for everything -$120
A couple of days ago I was searching through a live auction site that shows items up for auction all over the country. I was able to locate an auction house close to my zip code. There they were...The  3 lamps that Holly said were so flawed,( but still took) up for auction!  They were proudly described as  Old Murano Glass Lamps.. The turquoise set sold yesterday for $850, while the white lamp was paired with another one of similar style & they sold for $800. ($400 for the one)..I can't say and don't know what involvement Holly had in this auction.
I contacted Holly via email upon finding this auction and asked her to  make my elderly friend whole just like she did for herself. No Reply to my request of monies returned.
All I know is as it was explained to me by an attorney.. what she did was classic fraud, "she was a person in the know".

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 10/10/2013 05:25 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/A-Hint-of-Vintage-Holly-Latch/Hollywood-Florida-33024/Holly-Latch-A-Hint-of-VintageGrossly-Undervalues-Items-for-Her-Own-Gains-Hollywood-Flo-1090864. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on A Hint of Vintage, Holly Latch

#1 General Comment

I am the dealer that bought the lamps

AUTHOR: John - ()

To Whom It May Concern:

I am the dealer that bought the lamps from Holly at an antique show and placed them in auction.  The auction house charges a 50% commission to consign with them.  So, I did not get the total amount they sold for. An item is worth what someone is willing to pay for it.  I have seen these lamps go for much less.  John

#2 General Comment

Taking Advantage of the Elderly is Disgusting

AUTHOR: JennyJenny - ()

I am so terribly sorry to hear about your experience. This is a classic example of someone taking advantage of an elderly person, and it's actually a form of elder financial abuse. Sadly, my guess is that this happens to many people in your friend's situation. Antiques dealers are skilled at reading people, and even if they don't know the exact value of an item, they are well aware of what items are highly saught after and the ballpark value one can expect to get for them. And if they don't know, they can easily look an item up on line right there with their cell phone!!!

It sounds to me like this person didnt see enough items of value to bother with an estate sale in the heat. These people aren't in the business of helping others, they are in the business of selling other people's belongings to gain a nice profit for themselves. I think your only fault in this situation is of being far too trusting of a stranger. Let this be a lesson to others...never, never tell someone you're about to do business with that you are clueless about it, and never talk to just one professional. This is paramount to inviting them to take advantage of you. Instead, it would have been better to have called a few dealers in the area and interviewed each of them, letting them know you'd be interviewing other people and that you would hire the person who'd work the hardest and get the most money for you. It wouldn't hurt to have done a little research on a few of the larger items, or on the items that the dealer showed an interest in at your initial meeting.

Unfortunately, what's done is done.  I'm quite sure she never expected you to discover the auction of the lamps on line later, and was probably embarassed at being caught in a lie. Although you can't say for sure what her involvement in that auction was, I think it's safe to say that she misrepresented her intentions for buying them...(obviosuly turning them over so quickly means she never intended to keep them for herself). And if she weren't guilty of abusing your trust in her, I think she would have responded to your concerns about the discovery you made...and if she had any decency at all she should have offered your friend at least a portion of her profit.  Your friend may have a good civil case for small claims court, where all you keed is a preponderance of evidence suggesting her guilt to win (guilty beyond a reasonable doubt only applies to criminal cases). For a small filing fee and a little time putting some evidence together (like any paperwork you got from the dealer, and printing out the on line auction of the lamps, complete with pictures), she could be awarded the entire value of these items. Judges do not look kindly on people who screw over the elderly, especially when they are already financially vulnerable. Considering that she has you as a witness, the word of you both against hers, along with the paper evidence would likely be enough to convince the judge to teach that woman a lesson. If you decide to do it, please write back and tell me how it turned out. I really think you have a strong case, and I hope you go after her. It makes me so mad to hear what some people in this world are capable of doing in the name of money.

They say a little knowledge is dangerous, but in this case having no knowledge is much worse! Good luck to you, Tina.

Take care.

How do you know she knew?

AUTHOR: Maria - ()

How do you know that she knew exactly what the lamps were worth???  I checked out the auction you mentioned and even the auctioneer undervaluated the price of the lamps.  Don't you think he should know also????  Like I said "Even the experts don't know everything".

Do My Research...Really

AUTHOR: Tina - ()

A little back story for you Maria.  We were helping our 85 year old neighbor help her 87 yr old brother raise money for the assisted living facility he was placed in by the hospital after it was deemed he could no longer live alone anymore.

Because of  the fluidity of these events I asked around and got Holly's name and inquired about an Estate Sale for a home chalk full of stuff from floor to ceiling. ( not just some items like what you described  was your experience with Holly, We had An Entire House)  we made an appointment with her and met at the home to discuss her fee, pricing , etc. We were clueless.
Holly decided no estate sale-ac broken- How could we have possibly known in advance what items Holly would choose to purchase during what turned out to be our one and only meeting.
 Maybe you Maria could do research on the entire contents of a house that you were not familiar with and miraculously  know the fair market value of each item. But for us  we chose Holly a professional Antiques Dealer/Appraiser ( as stated online during an internet search of her name)  and her business card  "specializing in Estate Sales"
 You're right in saying" everyone can't know everything" I believe that saying applies to "us" the lay people, not the professional estate sale- Antiques Dealer. What's the point in calling one then?   We thought Holly, A Hint of Vintage was  forthright and ethical.  We could not anticipate the she would under-value and draw attention to the flaws of the lamps  while knowing full well that we did not know about their collectability.

Honest and Reliable

AUTHOR: Maria - ()

I had Holly Latch from A Hint of Vintage to my house to buy some antiques and gold jewelry from me.  She was very professional and courteous.  I did research of the value of the items I had for sale on the internet before she came to my house.  She gave me a good price on all of my items.  Do your research!  Everyone can't know everything.  Maria

Who are you and what are you talking about?

AUTHOR: Tina - ()

Lisa you were not present that evening to witness or be a part of our conversation including the initial phone call I made to Holly.  I have  no clue as to who you are ..maybe your just a nice lady who is trying to protect her friend.. Wth all that being said seriously you need to get your facts straight.

I did not say Holly was involved in the auction. I said  "I can't say and don't know what involvement Holly had in this auction"

As to the un- air conditioned home. Holly was not blindsided to that  fact. I informed her  the air conditioner was broken prior to making the appointment.. She still opted to come over and discuss the estate sale.
The following information I found during an internet search:
Holly Latch's Experience

Member of the Hollywood Antiques & Collectables Club

January 2004                 – Present             (9 years 10 months)                   Hollywood, FL

A Hint of Vintage

January 1992                 – Present             (21 years 10 months)

A Hint Of Vintage

January 1992                 – Present             (21 years 10 months)                   Hollywood, FL

Antique Dealer

p.m. - Antique appraiser Holly Latch and Coin collector Louis ... [ Pembroke Pines Forum | May 2010 Archives - blogs.trb.com ]. Boca Raton West Boca Delray Beach Boynton Beach West Boynton Wellington > Click here to return to city page
 Holly Latch, A Hint of Vintage- an antiques dealer and antiques appraiser. Clearly a person in the know who grossly undervalued 3 vintage Murano Lamps for her own gains.

Unfair statements

AUTHOR: Lisa - ()

Your assessment of Holly Latch was unfair.  She honest, fair and professional.  Your last minute, rushed request to hold a sale in an un-air conditioned home, in South Florida, in summer was poor planning on your part and totally unfair.   I also know that she sold those items to a dealer who conducted the auction.  That's business.  Get your facts straight first and be honest.  She did her job well...as usual.