Complaint Review: AAFES

• Submitted: Tue, December 09, 2003
  • Updated: Sun, February 28, 2010

• Reported By:Fort lewis Washington
AAFES
WWW.AAFES.COM Dallas, Texas U.S.A.

AAFES Military Star Card credit reporting, collections fraud.... Dallas Texas

*Consumer Comment: Charge off?!?!?!?!

*Consumer Suggestion: AAFES Military Star Card

*UPDATE Employee: AAFES has become a sorry company to work for

*UPDATE Employee: They are LAZY

*Consumer Comment: Battle Ground

When we moved we called AAFES to change our address. It was not changed. We did not received a bill while we were in Michigan or in the following 6 months in Missouri. While in Missouri we went again and made a change of address because the store could not give us a detailed bill. We wanted to pay but wanted a detailed bill first. Once again no response. We moved one more time and as soon as we arrived to Washington we wnt to AAFES on McChord Air Force Base and requested to pay the bill in full even though we had not received to that date a detailed bill statement. That is all we wanted because the amount they told us on thephone that was due was too large...that is obviously after all those months of late fees. We wanted our balance to be zero and did not want to deal anymore with AAFES. We paid in full with a check.

Few months later we tried to return an item at the store and were told our account was delinquent and could not make a return. We call several numbers and then after initiating an investigation on this matter we were sent a letter from a collection compan, OSI, billing us for the amount of 236.00 because we owed AAFES $187.00. If the account was paid in full and the card never used again how can they bill us $187.00.

OSI wanted their money and we denied paying them. We provided proof to AAFES of the payment and were told this would be resolved. This was in Mid 2001.

At the end of 2001 we got a credit report and there was the balance was $187.00 on AAFES account. We started a dispute with each Credit report Agency and sent proof of the payment of the debt. We did not get the issue resolved and AAFES said it would take few months to clear.

Now is 2002 and we got another credit report but this tiime is worse. Now it shows not only an account for 187.00 but also another account with the initial amount we paid in full. It shows not even a payment to AAFES. And it also reports as a charge off !!!!
We have contacted AAFES several times and we have not received a response. We faxed the information they wanted and nothing yet... So all we have left to do is to make an IG complaint.....

Stan
Fort lewis, Washington

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 12/09/2003 11:01 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/AAFES/Dallas-Texas-75266/AAFES-Military-Star-Card-credit-reporting-collections-fraud-Dallas-Texas-74537. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on AAFES

Charge off?!?!?!?!

AUTHOR: Heather - (United States of America)

My husband had an account through AAFES and after my husband got out of the military we paid off the card 2 years ago with our tax return.

We have recently been trying to get a loan for our first home and found out through m husbands credit reports that AAFES has been reporting that our account was charged off. We have a payoff statement from AAFES and we even got a check from AAFES because we overpaid them that we never cashed!

I remember very clearly that when we paid this debt I called AAFES to be sure that this would be updated on our credit report as being paid in full.... and the assured me that it would! So instead of just no reporting at all, they are reporting that they charged off a 3500.00 balance!!

I am currently along with my husband working with a lawyer to have this entry completely deleted from his credit report.

I wish that someone would start a class action lawsuit against this horrible company... there are so many other options out there for people in the military without having to be sucked in and spit out by AAFES.

If anyone has any ideas on how I can get this cleared immediately that would be great, having this item on my husbands credit report for the past two years has really taken a blow to his score!

#2 Consumer Suggestion

AAFES Military Star Card

AUTHOR: Carol - (U.S.A.)

I have been a very faithful customer of AAFES, BX/PX, & NEX since the last 10 years of my husband's military career were served overseas.
Anyway, my advise is, next time if you are PCS'ing, on TDY, or just on regular leave, that will hinder you from making payments, log on to www.AAFES.com there you can change your billing and shipping address, download & print your monthly statements, you can even pay your bills online, then after you have done this, call them, they have all the phone numbers listed, either your in CONUS or overseas, make sure that your information has indeed been updated. I hope this will help. Good luck to you guys.

AAFES has become a sorry company to work for

AUTHOR: David - (U.S.A.)

Sorry you had to deal with the associates at Mcchord .. did you actually get anyone to wait on you at all im surprised Bet you had to wait in line to be waited on due to staffing problems dont try to getting it resolved at FT lewis either as both stores are under the same General Manager and and the manageris a penny pincher Less personal costs more bonus money for the General Manager.

Take what you have a call the AAFES Commanders office At Headquarters in Dallas Be very nice and explain the problem you are having. you will have to fax them all the information you have including who you have talked to in person and on the phone hope you have written it down Its going to take a bit of time for her to get the process started it will be assigned to 1 person to be resolved Good luck

They are LAZY

AUTHOR: Mary - (U.S.A.)

I work here at AAFES, I am not in the particular department that you are talking about (Thank God). However, I do know many people that work in STAR, and I had a family memeber that worked in the treasury offset dept (collections). A lot of the people in both departments are extremely lazy and rude. Most of them place customers on hold until they will hang up just so they don't have to work.

Most of the time when information is not updated it is a simple fix. What happens most of the time is the associates input the incoorect SS#'s. They place customers payments or changes to another account.

The associates in those departments that do help people hate it and try to get out as quickly as they can. Hell half of the time they show up in sweats, house shoes, and still have sleep in there eyes.

Battle Ground

AUTHOR: Jason - (U.S.A.)

Stan and All,

The problem here as I see it is this;

AAFES has terrible updating skills by those nice folks in Texas. They're a bit slow on the uptake and some may even be computer illiterate. I've had this same problem in the past.

My only saving grace is that I know monthly payments are due sometime around the middle of the month, and the Air Forces take on Financial responsibility is that you know you have bills and you must pay them. You can get a statement/or help at the BX/PX/NEX at customer service desk located in every large BX/PX/NEX. And at the very least make the minimum monthly payment to AAFES/Military Star. That will keep you out of Hot Water with not only AAFES and the Credit Bureau, but most importantly your Commander.

You have to keep after them, follow up and it does get frustrating and time consuming, but a lot less frustrating and time consuming then battling them on the level you find yourself at now. This goes for any credit company.

I hope you've recovered from that.