Complaint Review: AAMCO

• Updated: Thu, December 05, 2013

• Reported By: PDX-Complaint — Portland Oregon
AAMCO
120 NE 82nd Ave Portland Or 97220 Portland, Oregon USA

AAMCO on NE 82nd Portland Or ( AKA SF Investment Corp ) Bait and Switch and other Deceptive Practices Portland Oregon

*Consumer Comment: Me too, and I recorded every phone conversation

I brought my car into AAMCO located at 120 NE 82nd Ave in Portland Or for a transmission rebuild. I called several places beforehand for quotes and based my decision to go with AAMCO because of the price quoted and it was a national chain or a franchise so somehow this seemed more trustworthy at the time.

I was originally quoted $2700 when I asked for the absolute worst case scenario i was told $3800 by Dave and he also added it would hopefully be on the lower end closer to $2700. I was hoping for the best but prepared for the high end worst of $3800. I was also told by Dave I would have my car back in 4 to 5 days.

After numerous calls to Dave where he promised me a call back with no follow through I finally got a call back 2 weeks later quoting me $5800 and when I said the quote was so far from the original that I didn't no what to do with it he told me repeatedly what a dealer would charge. I told him I know what a dealer would charge and the only thing that matters is the quote they gave me because that's why I brought it there. He refused to see that and continued to quote other high end places I wouldn't have gone to.

I called their corporate office and received a call back from Jim their local GM who said he found things that didn't need to be replaced after all (Well that's interesting) and offered to lower it to an arbitrary low 4's but only if I left positive reviews on websites...he took the posture of doing me a favor and refused to see the bad position that I was put in by their deceptive practices and this apparent bait and switch.

When I told him this was crazy and I needed to go talk to Dave where I dropped off my car I was told by Jim I couldn't talk to Dave about this that he didnt want me going down there and that I needed to settle this with him over the phone. I told him I no longer trusted this company and wanted to take my car else where and he said nobody else would work with my warranty so I had to deal with it.

I called my warranty company and they said that was a lie as long as the business has a Tax I.D I could take it there.

I'm now two weeks into a rental car and my car is in pieces at a place I never would have taken it to had I got an honest quote. I have several places that would have done it for less but now it's like they are holding my car hostage to extort money from me and going so far as to lie to me and say nobody else will work on it. I want my car back and I want others to be aware and protected from them and these practices.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 12/05/2013 07:55 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/AAMCO-/Portland-Oregon-97220/AAMCO-on-NE-82nd-Portland-Or-AKA-SF-Investment-Corp-Bait-and-Switch-and-other-Decepti-1104754. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on AAMCO

Me too, and I recorded every phone conversation

AUTHOR: MsBet - (USA)

If only I'd found this report before taking my car the this same Aamco repair shop, I would've sped out of that place as fast as ever. Here's the deal:

I was given an exact verbal quote of $2730.20 with a 10 year warranty by Dave and he told me that the only other cost would be about $90 for shop fees. He also said it was approved by my warranty company and would only take about 5 day. After a week goes by I called and still, my car was not  ready. Then after 2 and a half weeks go by he tells me it will cost $4700 and my out-of-pocket expense would be $1700. I said that was not what I was quoted. Then he said he'd see if he can do a discount to get the cost down, then sent me an email with the price reduced to $4195.50 with a 12 month warranty (my part $1,195).

I called again and this time I was told by Jim, the GM that Dave was not available and I had to wait until the following week to speak to him. I ask Jim can he resolve this issue, and I also told him I had recorded all the conversations with Dave. He asked me to email him the recordings, so I did. He then said that he could reduce the cost to $3723.40 and I told him that was still unacceptable because I do not have $700 to pay them.

At this point I don't know what to do. If anyone knows an attorney or investigative reporter that would be interested in helping me with this please let me know. I have every phone conversation recorded and I'm more then willing to allow anyone hear them.