Complaint Review: Aaron's Rent-To-Own

• Submitted: Fri, January 19, 2007
  • Updated: Tue, August 28, 2007

• Reported By:Mesa Arizona
Aaron's Rent-To-Own
3516 E Southern Ave Mesa, Arizona U.S.A.

Aaron's Rent-To-Own ripoff Aarons installed 120 spyware files into a computer they are charging me $1600+ for Mesa Arizona

*Consumer Comment: Same problem

*UPDATE EX-employee responds: you got a display or used computer

*UPDATE Employee: Aarons does not install spyware..

*Consumer Comment: So get thee Zone Alarm

*Consumer Comment: Sounds to me

*UPDATE Employee: confused

I purchase a dell dimension 1100 from Aarons. Price, better than $1600.00 with a 12 month lease/purchase. FYI this is not a down on dell, they have a reset to fix problem.

Okay, I am 3 months into this aggrement. My computer SHUTS DOWN, I have no internet. Local computer shop says its going cost me to get it fixed, approx. I call DELL (thany you DELL) they tell me I have a spyware problem.
Get this 120 files of Aarons cookies stopped my computer. Dell had a very easy fix. They reset my computer to the way they sent it to Aarons, Before the 120 cookies were installed.

My problem IS, how much personal information was shared before I new what was going on. I have ebay and paypal accounts I have shared my cc# online. I feel like I have been invaded.

You know the saying how you would like to be a "Fly On The Wall". Aarons is the fly.
Very, Very, Very Blank Upset

Mesa, Arizona

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 01/19/2007 08:06 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Aarons-Rent-To-Own/Mesa-Arizona-85213/Aarons-Rent-To-Own-ripoff-Aarons-installed-120-spyware-files-into-a-computer-they-are-cha-231401. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Aaron's Rent-To-Own

Same problem

AUTHOR: Lisa - (U.S.A.)

I also leased a Dell computer from this company and I have the same exact problems with all the spyware I had to return it a couple of times to repair it at Aarons, cause of all the spyware. I also have had problems with the computer deleting items from my computer, like itunes music library and the computer constantly shuts off by itself.

#2 UPDATE EX-employee responds

you got a display or used computer

AUTHOR: Ex-aaronemployee - (U.S.A.)

AArons has company unique specs from Dell, HP-Compaq and Gateway. This is how they beat people saying if you find it cheaper, we'll pay you 100.00 cash. Well these companies make those specs for AArons only and will not duplicate them for anyone else. If you have spy-ware installed, then 100% of the time you got a used computer or displayed. Hey, even if they gave the box to you, tape can always be used to reseal an opened box. Ask for a new computer in the box, inspect the box to see if it was tampered with first. If they value your business, they will exchange it out. If not, call the c-office 678-402-3000 ask for the VP for your state or Charles Loudermilk and see if they value your business.

Aarons does not install spyware..

AUTHOR: James - (U.S.A.)

If you purchase a new computer from Aarons..it has come direct from the manufacturer , through a local distribution center, and is made for Aarons..especially in Dell's case where most of their computers are made to order and not mass produced. When they item is sold from a new state , it does not have any programs pre-loaded on them by any store personell. To say that Aarons loaded hundreds of spyware programs is simply not accurate.

When Aarons gets a computer back, it is to be restored to the original manufacture
settings using specific restore methods that should delete any old information left on the unit. not just a restore to a previous point in time , but a full restore where it will start up as if being turned on for the first time again. If you had any spyware on the computer when you got it, I'd say it was an error by store employees in restoring the computer and you should take it back to the store ASAP to have them properly restore it right away.

Also, Aarons program includes service at no additional charge (it's included in your total monthly payment) for the full time you are paying on the item and 60 days from your final payments due date. Service is limited to problems that should not happen under normal wear and tear..if you drop it, if you download a virus or corrupt program that makes your computer inoperable, it is not a service issue..it's an "educate yourself on the proper use of comuters" issuse. Any reputable anti-virus will detect and usually be able to remove spy-ware and other virus-like programs and if you are not using anti-virus in this day and age, then you are looking for a problem.. If there is a service issue with your computer..contact the store for it to be resolved by them, and if they don't take care of your needs, then just like with any other business..contact the corporate office.

Aarons has a unique program..read your paperwork and you won't have any problems!!
Thanks for listening....

So get thee Zone Alarm

AUTHOR: Thomas - (U.S.A.)

and NOTHING will be permitted to enter or leave your computer by Zone Alarm without your express permission.

SpyBot is good for spyware and WinPatrol will keep anyone from installing their program on your computer without your express permission. There are many other handy programs as well. Usually it is best to have at least two anti-spyware programs.

It sounds to me like someone else had that DELL before David got it- someone who performed unprotected web surfing, which is like having unprotected casual sex... a really bad idea.

Sounds to me

AUTHOR: Sarah - (U.S.A.)

It appears that he didn't have internet BECAUSE the computer shut down. Spyware is a bad, bad thing. It's caused me to have my identity stolen.

AUTHOR: Jeff - (U.S.A.)

you say early in your complaint "i have no internet" then later you claim to have ebay and paypal info? if you have no internet 1 how would they get info 2 how are you doing ebay and paypal? just wondering?