Complaint Review: AARP

• Reported By: randy — orleans Massachusetts United States of America
AARP
Washington, District of Columbia United States of America

AARP Misleading Subscription Solicitation Washington, District of Columbia

I received a mailing from AARP encouraging me to renew my membership and receive a FREE Travel Bag.

I called AARP to find out when my membership expired, and was told in two years.    I asked them why I had received this misleading mailing, leading me to believe it was time to renew my membership, and was told they want all of their subscribers to have the opportunity to get the FREE Travel Bag.

I stated that this mailing was bordering on fraudulent, since most people will not call to check and see when their membership expires, and will believe that it is time to renew, thereby generating lots and lots of subscription money paid to AARP that didn't have to be paid.

They noted the complaint and said they would take me off the list to be notified for membership renewal.    I said they are supposed to be the watchdog for the senior citizens, and shouldn't be tricking the elderly into sending in money that isn't due.

Didn't get anywhere with them but will not renew my subscription in two years when it is up.   They completely denied that this ploy is only to generate subscription money, but instead made it sound like members complained if they did not get a change at the free gifts associated with renewing subscriptions...Bull!!

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 03/05/2011 12:03 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/AARP/Washington-District-of-Columbia-20049/AARP-Misleading-Subscription-Solicitation-Washington-District-of-Columbia-703059. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on AARP