Complaint Review: AARP

• Submitted: Thu, June 23, 2005
  • Updated: Tue, December 16, 2008

• Reported By:Barrington Illinois
AARP
601 E Street NW Washington, District of Columbia U.S.A.

AARP Ripoff OUTRAGEOUSLY OVERCHARGING members for services Washington District of Columbia

*Consumer Suggestion: AMEN!

*Consumer Comment: The real meaning of AARP

*Consumer Suggestion: AARP is not in the buiness to help. They are in the FUD business. FUD = Fear Uncertanty and Doubt business.

I just joined AARP the American Association of Retired People and thought I'd check out a cell phone.
First, I'd like to preface this experience by saying I have attempted to get someone to respond to me since April. I'm a new member, surely someone would help? After customer service ignored me for a month, I tried to contact the CEO Bill Novelli, President Marie Smith, AARP Services President, Dawn Sweeney and finally got Dawn's assistant. I'm still waiting for a legitimate explanation of the pricing for this benefit.
Here's where members are getting clipped. And, obviously, it can't be the only high-priced product or service that AARP offers at a discount to its members.
Their benefit partner for cell phones is Wirefly Wireless.

Here's the AARP rate: $39/month for 200 minutes offered.

YET, go to the Wirefly website and the general public gets these choices:

$29/mo for 300 minutes
$44/mo for 1000 minutes!

AND, ALL other plans - Verizon, Sprint, Liberty are cheaper, by far, than our AARP "BENEFIT!" Verizon, for example is $39/month with 450 minutes DOUBLE the offering.

What's going on here? AARP has the buying power of tens of millions. And this group is paying higher rates than a guy walking off the street?

Is the assumption made that members won't shop? Is AARP receiving $20 or so a month as a revenue-sharing deal from AARP wireless subscribers? This makes no sense.

Who would be ignorant enough to buy into this?

But wait, there's more...

I called AARP who couldn't respond/answer my question about the above concerns.

They sent me to Wirefly sales where they couldn't answer.

Sales then sent me to Wirefly customer service which is totally automated and won't respond unless I key in an order number. That's the AARP vendor partner.

This is a summary of my first experience with AARP.

Evidently their customer service strategy is to ignore people until they go away.

Now, I'm skeptical about whether any of these benefits are truly benefits.

These vendors are spending small fortunes to market anywhere and by going through AARP in some revenue-sharing deal (scheme a better word?), the can get the leverage of access to a huge membership list. And they are outrageously over-charging members.

Dan
Barrington, Illinois

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 06/23/2005 06:25 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/AARP/Washington-District-of-Columbia-20049/AARP-Ripoff-OUTRAGEOUSLY-OVERCHARGING-members-for-services-Washington-District-of-Columbia-147309. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on AARP

AUTHOR: Ray - (U.S.A.)

I have clean my mother (83 years old) trash and I found many package from AARP (last two years). Many of them sell items (high price) also ask for donation. As I look for dates, she get packages about every two week with letter for donation. They want my mother to sign up the donation membership (twice a month donation). Yes, my mother is regular member of AARP. I have told her to stop accept AARP package and return to post office. This going on for about four months and it start to slow down. Now she had cancel the AARP regular membership and she no longer getting mail from AARP (she send sue letter).

#5 Consumer Suggestion

AMEN!

AUTHOR: Cat - (U.S.A.)

iT IS ABOUT PROFIT AND ELECTIONS AND IN EDITS ANN'S WORDS,"AND THATS THE TRUUUPPFT"

AARP...the real meaning of these initials...All About Realizing Profit.

The AARP has been using the retired generation to line it's own pockets. Almost single handedly they have created two generations of 'entitlement' mentality that has fostered programs that are not sustainable, as well as, having created a mountain of debt for our children and grandchildren.

I am eligible for AARP, but I will never join this rip-off organization. Just check out the posh digs in Washington and do some reasearch on the money they pay their executives. It's not about the elederly...it's all about profit.

#10 Consumer Suggestion

AUTHOR: Karlton - (U.S.A.)

They are a reseller in that they get a cut of all the deals they offer. Yet they want you to reject all attempts to make social security stronger because they would become weaker.

Wal-Mart.com USA, LLC