Complaint Review: ACI Advanced Communications Inc.

• Submitted: Tue, August 18, 2009
  • Updated: Wed, January 20, 2010

• Reported By: CABLEfly — Pennsylvania USA
ACI Advanced Communications Inc.
www.acidirect.com Warrington, Pennsylvania United States of America

ACI Advanced Communications - ACI breaking the LAW? We need a union! Warrington Pennsylvania

*UPDATE EX-employee responds: Union will never happen

*General Comment: work place justice

* : Welcome to ACI

I have been working in cable for over 5 years. I worked for another contractor for most of them. During this last year I couldn't find any work and then I found ACI. Hiring all the time. Ten new guys in class every week.

First. You are required to work 6 days. No Option 6 days or we threaten you with dismissal.

Second. You have to surrender $10/week from your check as a "safe driver" savings. This builds up to $500. In the event that you damage your company truck ACI takes the $500 to cover the deductible for the insurance claim.

>> I damaged my truck. They took my $500 But they never filled an insurance claim and my truck never got fixed. Where does that $500 go? The manager laughed as he talked about a different truck getting the same thing done. "it doesn't matter where you get the estimate done. We ain't getting it fixed anyway." he laughed.

Third. If I lose or damage equipment (cable boxes from comcast) I have to pay for it out of my check. I didn't think you could force employees to pay for accidental damages. You can write them up, or fire them, but not take their pay?

Fourth. If Comcast assess a charge back the tech looses pay for that job. A charge back is a term used for contractors. If Comcast has to go back out to a job a contractor does and has to fix it or finds that it was not done up to spec Comcast charges the contractor or fines them. The fine is usually more than the job paid. BUT ACI has employees not contractors. ACI is a contractor of Comcast but we are employees.

Fifth. ACI does not list pay amounts on daily sheets, they do not have the techs submit a weekly sheet. "we'll do that for you." The tech have no idea what they are billing or how much they should be making.

This place REEEEKS of scam. THERE IS A CLASS ACTION HERE and a UNION would probably shut these guys down.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 08/18/2009 06:42 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/ACI-Advanced-Communications-Inc/Warrington-Pennsylvania-/ACI-Advanced-Communications-ACI-breaking-the-LAW-We-need-a-union-Warrington-Pennsylvan-481568. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on ACI Advanced Communications Inc.

#1 UPDATE EX-employee responds

Union will never happen

AUTHOR: Joseph - (U.S.A.)

I used to work for cable, I used to work for ACI.  You're better off working for the cable company directly.

What most people don't know is that subcontracting companies like ACI are what the cable companies use to keep the unions out of their own shops.  If a cable shop threatens union, they have companies like ACI in place to ramp up more workers whenever they need.

Back before comcast, TCI would have lunches for techs whenever there was a union vote about to happen with skits about all the company does, and laughs at the union's expense.  One shop in Chicago actually voted the CWA in, and what TCI did was give pretty much every other shop's techs a 2-3 dollar an hour raise--but not the union shop, because they were negotiating a contract.  I think three or four years went by where none of them got raises because all they have to do was negotiate, not actually agree with any demands.  I think they ultimately decertified.  Cable has a pretty nice system for keeping out the unions.

But back to the point of union at ACI.  ACI stays in business on their turnover.  Nobody stays around long enough in the install department--the construction department is another thing altogether; they make more money for the company than the installers.  But they also get rid of their malcontents and union agitators pretty systematically; turnover is so bad, they don't care if you are a good tech or not--anyone is expendable.

Just get a job with Verizon or AT&T.  Union will never happen in cable because of these contracting companies--and the contracting companies are in the cable companies back pocket.  The cable company has a list, and if your name is on it for getting fired for the wrong reason, you will not get 'badged' to work in any of the cable company's area.  You get hired by ACI and a week later you are let go, or told you can work in another state for them.

#2 General Comment

work place justice

AUTHOR: Murphy - (United States of America)

I am a IBEW organizer working in North and South Carolina. The International Brotherhood of Electrical Workers has been around since 1891 and has over 700,000 members with 10's of thousands in the commuications field.

Unions often provide workers the voice they seek in the work place. If you or anyone else is intrested in learning more about the Federal law (NLRA) that gives you the right to organize google NLRB an/or IBEW for more info.

Work hard, safe and stay warm!

Welcome to ACI

AUTHOR: Dan - (U.S.A.)

I don't see how they could file a lawsuit. By the time it gets to court all the employees will have turned over about 4 times and the way you get paid will have changed 3 times. They'll force you to sign away various rights like they do every couple of weeks.

ACI is the most mis-managed company I have ever worked for. They have meetings where the topic of the day is about being on time. Of course the manager can't even show up on time for those. You turn in paperwork for medical problems and it gets lost. You work 6 days and they forget 2 of them. And lets not forget the meetings! They have meetings about meetings there and its always bad news for the techs. Maybe if the management there tried strapping on a toolbelt and running a route the way they say they want you to do it we would see some changes.

They have cut our pay so bad for each job that nobody is going to spend time doing it right. If comcast ever takes a look at the quality of the work we are doing they would toss us out and I wouldn't blame them. We are put in the spot of deciding whether to do it right and go broke or do it fast and put food on the table. Sorry but my family comes first for me.