Complaint Review: ADP Total Pay Card

• Updated: Wed, May 30, 2012

• Reported By: Desiree — Salem Ohio United States of America
ADP Total Pay Card
Miami, Florida United States of America

ADP Total Pay Card ADP Federal Credit Union Misleading terms and conditions, ridiculous fees, poor customer service Miami, Florida

*Consumer Comment: get a life Robert

*Consumer Comment: No..

*Author of original report: ...

*Consumer Comment: Then why pay extra for a service

*Author of original report: Really?

*Consumer Comment: Wonder you made it through college

*Consumer Comment: Additional Comments

*Author of original report: In response to the rebuttals

*Consumer Comment: I think this is a first...

*Consumer Comment: Parentheses to indicate a negative balance is SOP

Since my employer doesn't offer direct deposit, I decided to enroll in the ADP Total Pay card which deposits my paycheck onto a Visa debit card for use anywhere Visa is accepted. The only options of using the card to avoid being charged any fees is to use it as a credit card to pay for purchases, or to withdraw the funds at an approved "Allpoint" ATM. If you do a balance inquiry at the ATM they charge $2.00 to the card, and if you call their automated system it charges $0.99 to check your balance, but if you check it online it's free.

At first I was good at beating their nickel and dime scam, I would just withdraw all of my money out of the ATM on payday, but then I slipped up and started using the card for credit card transactions. The card is supposed to deactivate itself temporarily when your account falls bellow a balance of $0.00, but mine conveniently let me continue to exceed the balance until I reached -62.11. Of course the website didn't show this balance deficit in plain terms, it displayed it as (62.11) as if the average person knows that means negative.

Needless to say, I tried to withdraw cash at an ATM and was charged 2 fees of $2.00 each for a declined transaction charge'. I called ADP right away to find out why I was declined, and they said despite the fact their terms and conditions state nothing about a parenthesis indicating a negative balance that they would not be waiving the fee.

The bottom line is that ADP is a large company who profits from charging their customers ridiculous fees and pays foreign people to provide "customer service" to customers that will waste their time calling in to complain only to be placed on silent holds for 15 minutes and talked down to by powerless managers who "could waive the fee but won't because [insert nonsense excuse here] which ultimately means ADP is cheap and greedy.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 05/27/2012 09:59 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/ADP-Total-Pay-Card/Miami-Florida-33102/ADP-Total-Pay-Card-ADP-Federal-Credit-Union-Misleading-terms-and-conditions-ridiculous-fe-889219. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on ADP Total Pay Card

get a life Robert

AUTHOR: MR COOL - ()

you always have your nose in everbodys business Robert aka MR KNOW IT ALL

AUTHOR: Robert - (U.S.A.)

- No using the card as a credit card wasn't the issue.  You slipped up when you didn't keep a written register of each transaction you made.

Whether or not you want to believe it I am actually trying to help you from this happening again.  Your I'm not good at math is not an excuse because you can go to your local dollar store and pick up a calculator to keep with you.  The claim you don't have enough time is not an excuse.  Every time you go on-line, use the ATM or call them up to find out your balance that takes time, probably a few minutes.  If you use a written register, not only does it only take seconds after each transaction.  You will find that you don't need to go on-line as often because you know your written register shows what you have spent.  If you don't want to follow these suggestions that is up to you.  But I can just about guarantee that if you don't you will overdraft your account(at what ever bank you use) again.  It may not be today or even this month, but at some point it will happen.

...

AUTHOR: reckner27 - (United States of America)

As I said in my original post, I slipped up and started using it as a credit card because it was easier than driving to their approved ATM to make a withdraw. And actually, my student loans are paid off so I'm not "hiding my assets." Obviously from now on I will make the drive to the ATM to withdraw all of my money so they don't get another penny out of me. I just wanted other people to know what to look out for when doing business with this company.

Then why pay extra for a service

AUTHOR: Steven - (U.S.A.)

Why pay extra for something then? If your employer does not offer direct deposit then why pay ADP? Now you are saying you also use a credit union. Why have your pay going to ADP instead of just depositing your check unless you are trying to hide your assets? Maybe you are trying to skip out on paying your student loans back.

Really?

AUTHOR: reckner27 - (United States of America)

I'm not going to go back and forth about this. Excuse me for being terrible at Math. I don't understand why my post gets all of the negative response but there are people on here who posted ripoff reports when they lost their ADP card and were charged a $15 replacement fee (which is clearly defined in the terms and conditons.) Yes, they are a company and they do have to make money somehow but they should do it honestly, this last fee was my breaking point. Maybe I should give you a little glimpse into their shady business practices....

The first call I made to them was to activate the card through the automated system, which was free. I had to call back that same day because of a technical error on their website and I was charged a $3.00 fee after the phone call ended, so I called back and upon going through the automated system was charged $0.99. Once I got a representative on line, I asked if the fee would be waived due to their error and they said no and charged me another $3.00 fee for that call, plus they told me "to avoid the $0.99 fee you should have pressed the option to report your card as lost/stolen." So here I am with a "pay" card that already took $6.99 from me before I even got my paycheck. There have been other fees since then, the overdraft was my fault for not logging my transactions but I honestly did not understand the parenthesis to mean negative. My bank offers free checking and no fees...they have never cost me this much.

Wonder you made it through college

AUTHOR: Steven - (U.S.A.)

I learned in junior high or maybe even high school (sorry its been over 40 years) that a negative balance is often reflected with parens. What kind of math classes did you take before college? You should have picked up that much in just basic math.

Why not just open a checking account with a credit union (or even checking and savings)?

Seems kind of funny that you think you should use a service for free. Just how do you expect a company to make money providing you a service without paying service fees?

52 dollars does not seem like much compared to the fees banks charge you.

Additional Comments

AUTHOR: Robert - (U.S.A.)

Okay so you are about 24 years old, and it sounds like you are just starting in the "real world".  It is really hard to believe that you have never learned that the parentheses means negative.   But just like everything else you will find out in life that lack of knowledge is not an excuse.   Think about this.  Say you didn't "know" that you are supposed to yield to emergency vehicles.  When you get pulled over by the cops do you think they would cut you a break because you said you worked 10 hours a day and a 2 hour commute and didn't have time to learn this one traffic law?

As to the fee.  If you only pay $52 a year you are possibly getting a good deal.  Most "free" checking accounts from a regular "real" bank have a Direct Deposit Requirement, so for you it sounds like that this is not going to be an option.  If you don't qualify for a free checking account, most banks charge between $5-$15 a month depending on the bank and services you get.  In a year you could conceivably be spending $60-$180 a year in fees. So $52 doesn't sound that bad, of course you get less services than a regular bank.  But to keep those fees down it is even more important to learn how to use a Written Register and be money smart.

In response to the rebuttals

AUTHOR: reckner27 - (United States of America)

Yes, I did call the company and the representative said she knew what the parenthesis meant only because it is her job to know. And yes, I did use google to try to figure it out before I even called them and I guess I made the search too specific (ex. adp total pay parenthesis balance, etc.) Had I googled what parenthesis meant in relation to math, I may have had better luck. I've been out of high school for 6 years, I never understood math and my college major did not include any math courses, also my other 2 checking accounts with 2 seperate financial institutions would have shown the balance as -62.11 in red. And let's face it, I work 10 hours a day with a 2 hour commute...so if a company doesn't have clear defined terms I don't have time to figure it out. Maybe to you this sounds silly but ADP has charged me $10.00 in fees in the 10 weeks I have been enrolled in their service, that's $1.00 a week and $52.00 a year...if you do the math that is throwing away money.

I think this is a first...

AUTHOR: Robert - (U.S.A.)

With all of the excuses people use to shift the blame for them overdrawing their account, I think the "parentheses excuse" is a first.  While you are still at fault, you get an 8.5 for originality.

The fact is that you sound like a person who has zero idea how to manage their account.  You need to start using a register.  That is every time you use your card you write down the transaction and subtract(that is the little - key not the + on the calculator) the amount from your previous balance.  As long as you never spend more than you have available you won't be stuck with a negative account.  Not only will this be more accurate for you, it doesn't cost you a single dime.  If you want to learn more about using a register, just search for "Printable Checkbook Register" and you can find several you can download and print for free.

The reason is that you can not rely on on-line/phone/ATM balances because they only know what has been submitted not what you have spent.  Due to various circumstances, out of the control of the bank, your purchase may be submitted anywhere from immediately to a few days later.  So it is possible that your on-line balance is not accurate, and possibly why you were able to overdraft because debits you had made did not get posted before you used the card again.

Parentheses to indicate a negative balance is SOP

AUTHOR: MovingForward - (USA)

I am a little stunned about your post. You sound intelligent. You are able to communicate effectively in your post. Unlike many of the reports here, you even use decent sentence structure, capital letters and punctuation.  Using parentheses to indicate a negative number is taught in elementary school initially and then again in middle and high school. If you attend college, it is taught in both mathmatics and in accounting courses. If you maintain your financial records with software, you will find a variety of forms to indicate your balance is "in the red" or negative including parentheses.

However, lets assume you really didn't understand that the parentheses indicates a negative balance. Did you look online for a definition or query google/your favorite search engine or even call the company and ask for an explanation? You are an adult and it is your responsibility to understand basic financial records. If you don't understand it is up to you to find out what those symbols mean.  As consumers, we do not have any excuse for "not knowing/not understanding".  The knowledge is everywhere, equally available to all through your computer.

No, this is not the fault of the company. The company used a standard method to indicate a negative balance. The fee is due to your error and is most likely posted in their terms and conditions provided to you when you opened the card. This is because you failed to keep appropriate track of your financials. I don't work for this company and I'm not defending it. I am  surprised that an obviously intelligent consumer would blame a third party for an error they themselves created!