Complaint Review: AFLAC STD

*Consumer Comment: Glad

*Author of original report: ? Aflace

*Consumer Comment: Got AFLAC dental

*Consumer Comment: Agree with previous rebuttal

*Consumer Comment: Not so sure...

I was lifting weights at a gym at my apartment complex.  Felt discomfort in right groin and went to MD, who referred me to surgeon for suspicion of hernia.  Diagnosed with "bad Hernia" by general surgeon.  I had a four hour open incision hernia repair on 12/27/11.  At that time, I was a consultant at law firm.  My job duty was a desk job.  My employer had already deducted pay from my paycheck (salaried employee) for going over my sick days.  The surgeon released me to return to my "desk Job", "light duty" 5 days after surgery.  I informed my employer the only reason I was able to come back was it was light duty and desk job.

Seven days later I was laid off "for economic reasons", and of course I am a registered nurse and not able to find a job at the time because I have surgeon restrictions, which are very standard for this type of surgery, of "no lifting greater than 5 lbs or bending for 4-6 weeks, and released by your MD.  OK, not easy to find another desk job, and impossible to find or work as clinical nurse due to restrictions.  Made claim to AFLAC; denied, says since I returned to work for 5 days, I was back at full duty and therefore I had no disability?

I have spent 2 weeks going back and forth with the company.  First it was missing this document, then needing this document, then employer document wrong needs redone, then "we called and talked to you surgeon and he said he released you to full duty 5 days after surgery", of course I knew that was a lie, and so did the MD, who was furious!  So then MD called AFLAC, then he was told well it was not a problem with MD aspect, but now it was employer problem?  So they play this back and forth game with you, you fix one problem and then they tell you its another problem.

Continue to deny me what they owe me because I was disabled and not able to work.  $ 2800.00 is due me.

I have consulted with attorney and the law suit will cost AFLAC much more than $ 2800.00 to defend when I add on the additional amounts like loss of apartment and other damages!

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 02/10/2012 04:18 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/AFLAC-STD/Internet-Texas-/AFLAC-STD-AFLAC-claims-ripoff-no-reasonable-reason-Internet-Texas-837310. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on AFLAC STD

Glad

AUTHOR: MochaG - (United States of America)

I'm glad that you came back and reported what you found out. This would be a great knowledge to other people and also demonstrate how reporters should do once they have the result from their report (either good or bad). :)

? Aflace

AUTHOR: Purehogman - (United States of America)

Yes nursing is in high demand, but at the time, no one would hire a nurse that was on medical restriction.  Yes I am fully employed now.  You can look at this either way, it is all in the rear view mirror now and I have much more knowledge as to what a short or long term disability policy will cover.  I realize that they will access your MIB report to see if you have EVER had problems in the area of your disability, and if so most likely deny coverage for that also.  My advice would be anyone thinking about disability, make sure that their policy does not exclude preexisting conditions and if so for what time length.  Best of luck to all in the world!

g

Got AFLAC dental

AUTHOR: Stacey - (U.S.A.)

And they have been nothing but great!!! They are a supplemental insurance not a primary insurance company.  Nurses are in great demand so I see no reason you could not find a job!!  Upon research last nite I saw many job openings for Case Managers (RN) in Dallas alone.

No Ripoff.

Agree with previous rebuttal

AUTHOR: gregba02 - (United States of America)

You should have filed the claim immedietly when you got injured while you were off work, not waited until you returned back to work then got laid off. Aflac is supplemental insurance not unemployment sorry bud.

Not so sure...

AUTHOR: Robert - (U.S.A.)

It doesn't sound like a Cut and Dry claim based on what you have posted here.   It appears as if you are trying to make AFLAC responsible for your unemployment, and I don't believe that this is covered by them.

From what you wrote you were employeed by this company when you injured yourself.  You returned to this same company once cleared by your doctor.  "Light duty" or not it appears that you returned to what would be considered your normal position.  So one logical question that seems needed to be asked would be is AFLAC responsible for continuing to pay your disability claim during that 5 days you were back at work?

If they are not responsible for any claims during that 5 days, it seems almost impossible to try and make a claim that they should all of the sudden become responsible once the company laid you off.  Because you were well enough to work at that position.

- As long as the attorney isn't charging you any money until you prevail(if you do)..then more power to you.  If they are then be very careful to not get ripped of by the attorney.