Complaint Review: AFNI, Inc.

• Submitted: Fri, February 07, 2014
  • Updated: Fri, February 07, 2014

• Reported By: David — Crossville Tennessee
AFNI, Inc.
1310 Martin Luther King Drive, PO Box 3427 Bloomington, Illinois USA

AFNI, Inc. I got a professional-looking "SETTLEMENT OFFER" from the AFNI Collection agency for an AT&T bill that I didn't owe. Bloomington Illinois

I got a very professional-looking "SETTLEMENT OFFER" from the AFNI Collection agency.

It was for an AT&T cell phone bill.  Oddly enough, we hadn't had AT&T for about 10 years.

Since we always pay our bills, I called the toll free number to question it.

I reached a professional-sounding automated system telling me that this office was a collection agency and calls "may be monitored."  It also asked me to hold, that all service reps were currently with other customers.  After 30 seconds, a male with a Pakistani? accent answered.

He was able to tell me that the bill was for AT&T service provided between Sept 2003 and July 2006.  He also provided the old cell number we had used.  (It was a number we actually did use.) He even had the address where we lived back then.

The bill he had mailed to me included the "Original Creditor Account#" from AT&T.  I was starting to worry that perhaps I did miss a bill.  I was in the military and deployed a lot during this time frame.  Could this be a legit bill?

So, I called AT&T and asked them if I had unpaid bills.  I provided all the info he requested.   He told me the Original Creditor Account Number was bogus.

He also stated that the phone number was from a pay-as-you-go Trak phone...I knew that number was mine...but it was so long ago, that I couldn't remember who I had it with.

The AT&T billing guy also said that he could see records going back to the 1990's and that we had no unpaid bills.

I was tempted to mess with the AFNI guy.  I thought about using the email scammer technique where they ask for you bank account number so that they can deposit $100 million from the Prince of Arabia.

But I didn't because I remembered that somewhere in the Bible it mentions that it is better not to mess with people like this.

Anyway, I won't be paying the bill or calling them back.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 02/07/2014 01:04 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/AFNI-Inc/Bloomington-Illinois-61702-3427/AFNI-Inc-I-got-a-professional-looking-SETTLEMENT-OFFER-from-the-AFNI-Collection-agenc-1121802. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on AFNI, Inc.