Complaint Review: American Freight

• Updated: Thu, March 06, 2014

• Reported By: MaryA — Rossville Georgia
American Freight
6242 Perimeter Dr, Chattanooga, Select State/Province USA

American Freight is nothing but a bait and switch operation Chattanooga Tennessee

On February 17th I went into American Freight on Perimeter Drive in Chattanooga, TN and purchased $1415.88 worth of furniture, which I paid cash for. I bought a 5 piece bedroom set and a 5 piece diningroom set. I was promised a date of delivery for February 22nd. The furniture did not arrive as promised so I called the store. Jack the manager stated that the bedroom set I bought was not in stock but he would give me one that was $400 more at the same cost. After work I went to American Freight and when I got there, he stated that he didn't have that set either and that he would not be able to "eat the cost" of the more expensive bedroom set.

When I was persistent about getting what he offered me on the phone, he became angry and started to scream and cuss at me. He asked me, "What do you not f****** understand?". When I told him I would just like to get my money back he informed me that I would have to wait 2-3 weeks for a corporate check, even though I paid cash.

I asked him for the corporate phone number and he refused to give it to me. After finding it on my own I called them for a week leaving my name and number on their voice mail without a return call. Day 8 of calling I finally got a live person on the other end who was NO help at all. The lady even hung up on me while I was trying to tell her of my concerns.

I told my parents of the experience I had been through and my dad offered to go to the store with me to try and get my money back. When we got there, Jack became irate and told us to leave before my dad was even able to explain why we were there. My dad started telling other customers to be careful when buying anything and was explaining to them what I had been through. Jack said he called the cops, which we knew he hadn't. My dad decided to call them himself. When a store employee heard this he stated, "This will be the 6th time this week that the cops have been here due to angry customers."

When the officer arrived Jack told them that my dad threatened him, which never happened. The officer did not believe his claims and took a report from us, but said sadly there was nothing he could do to get our money back as they did not handle that sort of stuff. He advised us to pick up the report when it was ready and go to the Attorney General's office, which we plan on doing.

I went to google and read all the reviews for American Freight in Chattanooga. I wish I had done this before giving these theives my money. They have a 1.8 rating and that's because you have to give them at least 1 star to leave a review. On one of the reviews there is a "response from owner" that basically tells a customer he could get a refund, "However, when you pay with a card our return policy requires that the refund come back in the way it was paid..." If this is their policy, then why can't I get my CASH back? Why are they making me wait 2-3 weeks for a corporate check? Please, please stay away from American Freight in Chattanooga, TN. It is nothing more than a bait and switch operation at best!

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 03/02/2014 04:23 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/American-Freight/Chattanooga-Select-StateProvince-37421/American-Freight-is-nothing-but-a-bait-and-switch-operation-Chattanooga-Tennessee-1127703. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on American Freight