customers

• Updated: Sat, May 10, 2014

• Reported By: K.Charters — Florence South Carolina
American Home Shield
889 Ridge Lake Blvd. Memphis, Tennessee USA

American Home Shield Neglect of repair, central air unit broke 2 months later with same part bad. Memphis Tennessee

I had a problem with my central air unit in January of 2014. I called AHS to start a claim ti have it fixed. After paying the $75 fee, they finally sent a "Technician" to my house to look at it.

The first thing the "Technician" did was to hook up the R12 refrigerant gauges to check the levels...problem was that the valves on the gauges were not shut correctly, and he bled the R12 refrigerant out of my unit! When he finally closed the valves, my unit was 3 pounds low! He said that it was not his fault, and wanted me to pay $130.00 for each pound of refrigerant...because my AHS warranty only covers $10 of each pound.

Ok, so on to the REAL problem...My unit was not going into defrost mode, so the heater part was not working correctly. This problem was forcing the system to go into "emergency heating" mode, which jacked up my electricity bill from $250 to $600 for 1 month.

After an hour and a half, the technician found out that the defrost circuitboard was bad. He said that he didn't have one and that he would have to order it. Almost 2 weeks later, I got a call from the technician that he was already at my house, and he had the part to put on. He asked if he should put it on now, or come back later...but the earliest date he could come back was 2 weeks out. I didn't trust him alone, but told him to put the part on.

I rushed home, hoping to catch the technician before he left, but he was gone. I tested the system, and it seemed to work ok. The next day I turned the system off, as I did not need it due to the weather.

The next time I used my system was in spring, when I needed the air on. Well, long story short, it was 90 degrees outside, 86 degrees inside, thermostat set to 50 degrees, and my central air unit was totaly frozen.

Why was it frozen? because the unit was NOT going into defrost mode!

So, I called American Home Shield to complain...they told me that my policy expired earlier that morning, and I would have to renew my policy to start a "NEW" claim, being that it had been 60 days past the first claim, and they couldn't do anything for me.

American Home Shield Home Warranties are scammers, and the contractors they use are shady, too!

Here is the information I have, so that other people can stay away from these scammers:

American Home Shield, 889 Ridge Lake Blvd, Memphis, TN 38120, 1-888-257-5726

and the contractor they used:

Carolina Air. INC Heating & Cooling, 3700 Hwy. 15-501, Carthage, NC, 28327, License #23549 1-910-947-7707

AND...the best part? I live in South Carolina! Why couldn't AHS use a contractor that was local to me? They had to use one from out of state? Makes no sense...and my AC unit is still broken!!

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 05/10/2014 02:02 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/American-Home-Shield/Memphis-Tennessee-38120/American-Home-Shield-Neglect-of-repair-central-air-unit-broke-2-months-later-with-same-p-1145624. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on American Home Shield